Using USA bought Macs overseas?

Reaction score
Hi, long time sifter first time poster.
I currently live in the US and im very keen to purchase one of the new macbook pros, probably the cheapest but imo still a first rate portable.

My only question is, i will be moving overseas in 4 months to New Zealand indefinitely, but likely more than 4 years. I have checked with the NZ apple store and the prices are about us$700 more over there due to various reasons. Now when i buy my new mac form the apple store using my university discount , will it still work fine over in NZ, i understand they are the same computer so i also assume that the software or some unbeknown to me program or ap will work fine in NZ.

The other thing is will i beable to have my warranty honored in NZ as opposed to having to ship it back to the place of purchase? i would be interested in the extended coverage as my last ibook has a few problems...is the apple care plan worth it? i couldn't care less about the phone support, is there any other ways i could extend purely the warranty?

cheers for your help.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I believe all Macbooks are designed and built to be capable of handling the variable power supply one can encounter outside of the U.S. Of course, you may need to purchase an adaptor plug, depending on the country where you are traveling to.

As for the warranty, that's something that you would be best served talking to an Apple service rep about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
for the power adapter issue all mac power sources can handle an input of 100-240V so all you need to do is buy a adapter plug for the plug type in NZ.

OP
T
Reaction score
cheers guys, NZ has 240v mains so should be sweet, and il beable to buy a charger over there neway if i can find one.

anyone know anything specific about the warranty cover?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
you should probably call apple support and ask about the warranty

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.