Canon PowerShot S5 doesn't seem to be focusing

Reaction score
Hello.

So, sometimes my S5 doesn't focus. I'll be trying to get a shot in at one of those "Canon moments" and it doesn't focus, it ends up taking forever to get that shot in. Usually I have to focus on something else, then move towards the subject, which isn't really helpful.
I bought it in late December so it's still under warranty, i'm thinking about sending it in, just wanted a second opinion first.
Happened to anyone else?
I'm in program mode, usually normal daylight, but the autofocus sometimes just doesn't want to work.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
If you can get the autofocus to work on certain objects but not others, it may or may not be a problem with the camera.

What types of scenes are you having problems with? Are you having difficulty with low-contrast subject matter? For example, any camera will have difficulty autofocusing on a white wall or a body of water. The autofocus sensors relies on some degree of contrast on the subject matter for it to work.

I'm also wondering whether your camera has simply gone into sleep mode, in which case it may take a moment for the autofocus to work.

Have you tried using the camera in Aperture or Shutter Priority modes? How about the Green automatic mode?

I had to send back my daughter's Canon p&s once because there was a problem with a misaligned lens barrel. Because the lens sticks out so much on those p&s cameras, and their build isn't exactly the most robust, your issue may very well be with the camera.

M

MacHeadCase

Too bad Stretch isn't around : he had the PowerShot S2 (or S3) which is basically an ancestor to the S5 and he could help you out with your question probably.

I'm no good for help, I get all mixed up in the controls with a point and shoot. :Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.