Apple Keyboard broke again!!

Reaction score
I bought a new keyboard this past December 07, because my space bar wouldn't work. Now, with this new one, it appears the Return key has quit in the same way. I tried blowing it out; I actually took it off and pushed in the little soft thing with a pencil to make contact. No dice. I think it's shot. These are the standard, white, fairly thin slightly curved Apple Keyboard M9034LL/A. Is there a better option? Have other people experienced this... or have I just had bad luck with this one? It's only two months old. Thanks very much for any help.

Reaction score
I bought an Apple keyboard last year to replace an ageing something-or-other I had for six or seven years, whose keys sometimes wouldn't return.

The Apple keyboard lasted two weeks before the space bar, or was it the return key? wouldn't release. I had to go back to the something-or-other keyboard, and I used it for another year.

The something-or-other packed it in for good a few weeks ago, and I bought another Apple keyboard because it was 9 at night and only one Apple retailer was open. This one is aluminum under the keys. It's surpassed the longevity of the two-weeker, but I don't care for the touch, so I want it to break.

It won't.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only white Apple keyboard of mine that died is my fault. Came out to the computer 3AM with a soda and was half asleep. Soda splashed into the area by the Left Shift and Control keys. Sat all night and ate off 2 traces. Bought a new aluminium one and also a Rear Windows Defroster repair kit. Fixed the traces and it works again, but I like the new one so much, I put the old one on another Mac. Otherwise have had no issues with any of my Apple keyboards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is two months old take it back to the reseller and complain about the quality but don't mention the taking apart bit and using the pencil.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it is two months old take it back to the reseller and complain about the quality but don't mention the taking apart bit and using the pencil.

I am the one who took it apart as I ruined it. No way would I take it back and it was 1.5 years old when I spilled soda into it anyway. Works like new now with the fix.

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
I am the one who took it apart as I ruined it. No way would I take it back and it was 1.5 years old when I spilled soda into it anyway. Works like new now with the fix.

No, he meant for me. Thank you, harryb2448! Thanks to all who replied. It's just that I bought the keyboard at CompUSA, who are, apparently, quite out of business. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. I'm still interested in hearing from people on which keyboard model they like the most and find to be the most sturdy. Thanks so much.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I somehow missed your pencil part of your message.

I know some do not like it, but I really like the new Apple keyboard like I said in my post. My typing speed has gone up also and no strain in the wrists and it's built very well. Had it 6+ months now and love it.

If you can, go give one a try at an Apple dealer. If you don't like it, some Microsoft keyboards are quite nice as well as the more top Logitechs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.