Black stains on white MacBook?

Reaction score
I have searched everywhere for people with the same problem as me, to no avail. My MacBook (after 2 months of ownership) has begun to display black streaks on the casing (bottom more so than the top). I have posted at the Apple Support Discussions, but the people who do share the problem don't seem to know what is causing it.

The only thing I can think of is the black Ted Baker laptop case that I store it in. I take extra care, though, in making sure that the laptop has cooled before it goes into the bag.

Here are the pictures that user Dhiru Bhojwani posted:

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

These pictures show the exact problem that I am having too, and the marks look exactly the same. I will try to post pictures of the bottom of my MacBook tomorrow, as it is late here now, but I would appreciate any help at all on this issue.

Thanks.

Lewis.

Reaction score
the only thing i can think of is trying to get it off with a product called "goof off" but it doesnt look like that kind of stain but it is worth a try

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3, 500MHz, CD-ROM, 12"
Wow those look almost like burn marks, But try the goof off or rubbing alcohol

OP
monkfishbandana
Reaction score
I had never though of burn marks before, but the marks do appear to be underneath the surface of the plastic. I have tried water to get it off but if they are surface marks then they are incredibly stubborn.

Goof Off looks like it might work, but does anyone know if I can import it into
the UK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3, 500MHz, CD-ROM, 12"
Go to your local hardware store, they should have it or something similar to it, try nail polish remover.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
Go to your local hardware store, they should have it or something similar to it, try nail polish remover.

was just going to suggest that ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I have searched everywhere for people with the same problem as me, to no avail. My MacBook (after 2 months of ownership) has begun to display black streaks on the casing (bottom more so than the top). I have posted at the Apple Support Discussions, but the people who do share the problem don't seem to know what is causing it.

The only thing I can think of is the black Ted Baker laptop case that I store it in. I take extra care, though, in making sure that the laptop has cooled before it goes into the bag.

Here are the pictures that user Dhiru Bhojwani posted:

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

These pictures show the exact problem that I am having too, and the marks look exactly the same. I will try to post pictures of the bottom of my MacBook tomorrow, as it is late here now, but I would appreciate any help at all on this issue.

Thanks.

Lewis.

I had this exact same problem with my Tucano Sleeve, the best thing I found to take it off was toothpaste just make sure its not really gritty and use a soft cloth and rub where the marks are.

Reaction score
Hello monkfishbandana,

I know - it hurts if you had such an expense and then it looks like that.
I myself had ordered a white MacBook three weeks ago. Then my seller told me that the older MacBooks are not deliverable any longer. After finding information in the i-net about discoloration on white MacBooks I changed my order into MacBookPro (because I wanted to get a bright one and not a black - which does not fit to a Mac, I think)
But, nevertheless, I think your "mutation" is like a kind of individualization. At the end it looks cool and it is really something special. I would not change it. Nobody will have the same design.

objekt

OP
monkfishbandana
Reaction score
I think your "mutation" is like a kind of individualization. At the end it looks cool and it is really something special. I would not change it. Nobody will have the same design.

objekt

What? You'd make sense if the design looked like an equalizer or something, but these are black streaks! I paid a lot of money for this laptop, and if I ordered it in white - it better stay white!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Putting it in a case that transposes its black pigment isnt a good way to get it to stay white :)

Reaction score
Of course you are right, monkfishbandana.
Have you contact your supplier or apple service directly?
They should take this MacBook back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.