Don't install vista?

Reaction score
I went to the appleshop and they told me that it isn't recommended to install vista because it still causes a lot of trouble on the mac? So they say i should install xp. Is this true? Maybe someone that has vista installed can tell me if it really slows down the system that much?

Specs are:
2,4Ghz x 2
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

Thnx anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
While Vista has gotten better recently (drivers are improved and it's become more stable with recent patches), XP is more mature and more easily supported. If there is something specific you need Vista for - an application that requires it perhaps - then go ahead and use Vista but if it's a complimentary OS (you do run OS X most of the time, right?), then XP is a better choice.

OP
F
Reaction score
No just office 2003 and next year i'll need office 2007. Maybe some games too but not often anyway, like oblivion and crysis, if it works on my mac.
So xp is the best choice?
Thnx man.

OP
F
Reaction score
The problem is that my school is upgrading to vista next year and we'll have to be able to work with vista then. So maybe, if i install xp now, i'll have to upgrade next year. So is that possible and easy on bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well Apple does provide the drivers needed to get Vista up and running, and I've not heard of any issues with Macs in particular running Vista. In fact, they reportedly run Vista better than most PCs. The real issue is lack of drivers for peripherals like printers, scanners, and so on. And... since it is much more of a resource hog than Windows XP is, you will likely see a performance hit on anything you run, especially games.

Any reason why you HAVE to use the Windows version of Office? There is a Mac version, though there are some differences in features available between the two.

OP
F
Reaction score
It's office and also dreamweaver. The reason is that i have an exam about office 2003 and dreamweaver. It's an exam about outdated software hehe. And the shortcuts and everything are probably different so i don't want to take any risks anyway.
And probably the most important reason that i won't buy office for mac is that i already have a normal office.

So unfortunatly i'll have to install windows. Just haven't decided which one yet. I can buy, as a european student, vista ultimate with a perm license for only €65. So that is pretty tempting, and it's btw not possible to buy win xp for a cheap price. But i just don't trust vista, it looks too "crowded" and unorganised. It even looks like a resourcehogger!

Thnx for the replies so far.

Reaction score
Whoever told you that either just doesn't know or just doesn't like Vista. I have used both XP Pro and Vista and they both work just fine on my MBP. Vista has been out for more than a year now and is very stable. Driver support on the Mac is excellent and I have had no issues at all - no BSOD's, no freeze-ups, etc. I run Office 2003 as well as Excel 2007 under Vista and everything runs just fine. While XP is an excellent OS, MS will eventually discontinue support for it. Vista is also built on the NT kernel (just like XP) and has more cosmetic enhancements. Also, Vista SP1 should be out soon as well.

Either one will work just fine. It's just a matter of choice for you at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Office 2003 and Dreamweaver will run well in either OS. XP uses less space, is quicker on limited hardware and you can probably pick up a retail version very cheaply if you shop around. I'd go for XP. Vista is an overkill for what you need it for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I second what joec1101 said. Whoever told you that just doesn't like Vista. I also ran Vista for a very long time on my older MBP and never had any issues. Apple was even boasting how well Macs run Vista in their TV commercials after PC Magazine came out with that report on how Apple laptops were running Vista better than any other laptop (that they tested).

However, that said I did eventually change back to XP from Vista. Not because there were problems, but because it just took up too much space. Also, since XP uses less system resources to run the OS, you games and other apps will run faster on XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
As with any system, it depends on the demands of the game. Since it'll run totally native in bootcamp, it's going to be the same as a similarly-spec'd PC. Just look at your Mac specs as you would with any other PC to determine how well you think it'll run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.