• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Putting a sticker on your laptop's case...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Kinda been wondering if putting a sticker on the back of the screen would void my warranty. I've read on the net that it doesn't, but just figured I'd get the second opinion from a source I trust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you open up a Macbook to do anything other than upgrade the RAM and hard drive, you're voiding the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17", 2g ram, 160 g, final cut express
nothing a blow dryer , and peeling it back softly can't do in case u need to take it in.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Well, I got to chat with an Apple rep on the website a few minutes ago, figured I'd post this so you all know for the future.

I pretended to be a concerned parent for this scenario, just in case there's any confusion.

Tim: Hi, my name is Tim. Welcome to Apple! How are you?
Me: I'm good, I have a question about purchasing AppleCare for my son's MacBook
Tim: I'm happy to assist with that.
Me: Okay, well, he's had the MacBook for about 8 months, and we bought it from an Apple Authorized Reseller (Micro Center, specifically), and he has a band's sticker on the top of the case. Can he still get the AppleCare, and does the sticker void the warranty?
Tim: He can still get the AppleCare. Is he a student?
Me: Yes, he's currently a University student. So, the sticker hasn't voided his warranty?
Tim: A lot of students do that. As long as it doesn't cause the issue and isn't permanent, it's not an issue. If he were to carve the name into the case with a pen knife, that wouldn't be wise.
Me: Haha, I can't imagine it would be!

So, for the definitive answer, no, the warranty is NOT voided by a sticker, as long as it doesn't interfere with normal operation of the machine.

Woo hoo!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Ahh, I thought you meant literally behind the screen in order to change the color of the Apple logo. Some people have done that after their warranty has expired. Didn't know you meant an actual sticker on the outside, because that's perfectly fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
I love stickers to add a little personalized flair to some of my items. With my MacBook, I have a Speck clear case and have the stickers on it. That way if I ever want to sell the MB, no issues about the stickers or residue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.