iMac G5 screen... small anomaly+other problems.

Reaction score
Ever since a repair years ago my imac G5(1st gen) has a brighter section at the bottom left.
dsc00700hd7.jpg

I have 45 days of warranty left and wonder how apple is with screens problems like this.

I bring this up but there is always a bigger problem happening and it gets brushed to the side. I am in my warranty so they should fix this right?

My imac has never been anything but trouble.
Airport replacement
Logic board (Apple extension program serial)
Harddrive
Logic board+Hard drive
Power supply (today)
...all in less than 3 years (third computer so it's not even used often) This is not common right?

This is my second try on apple. (Had a G4 for a week until half the screen turned dim but apple was very helpful and refunded me)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" G5 2.1, iMac 24" Alum 2.8, iBook G4 1g
This is a known problem on the first generation G5 iMac's. They had to replace the power converter and the screen on mine. Then it happened again and they gave me a brand new G5 2.1 with an iSight for my troubles...

I love Apple.

Call Apple care and be polite and ask them to fix it. If they won't, refer them to this page:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=197559&start=0&tstart=0

and then ask them to put you in touch with Customer Service. They'll say they can't help but be polite and firm and then explain to Customer Care that you do a lot of photography and this on the screen is unacceptable.

Good luck,

Dan Reilly
Sarasota, FL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4 20" 4G RAM
holy crap!! I had this SAME issue. Identical!!! My serial number fell within a recall range issued for G5 iMacs, so I called Applecare and they directed me to a local Apple retailer. I am a huge advocate for using real Apple stores, not authorized stores. They replaced:

Logic Board
Power Supply
LCD
Power Inverter
Fans

And still had the issue!! It took them WAY longer to repair than they said. I was out of my iMac for almost 2 months. They kept giving me the run-around, so I called Applecare and politely expressed my displeasure. Next thing I know, the Apple store calls and said that due to the repairs exceeding the cost of the iMac, they sent me a new Aluminum 2.4 iMac with the wireless keyboard and mouse. Be persistent and stay in touch with Applecare. They will even call the store for you! You purchased a defect free machine and now the store is telling you that a defective monitor is acceptable!! Applecare is the way to go. Express your displeasure and recommend that the old one is scrapped and would like a replacement. Keep us posted :)

Reaction score
Hi have the same trouble. the screen is a little brighter at the bottom, more in the left side.

I hear about this Apple care and I have some questions

1.Does this apply world wide? Im in santiago Chile, south america

2.Do you have to be the first owner? I dont have the bill or nothing

I bought this IMAC for designs and it bothers me

thanks
Andrew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.