What else is there besides Roxio Toast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Tower
Is there anything else other than Roxio Toast?

Hi ya'll, this Roxio Toast has got to go, it wont accept my cheap media anymore, is there anything else that i can get, cheers. :)

OP
MacForever
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Tower
Hi, is there anything else that compares to Roxio? it just wont take my cheap media anymore. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts and moved to appropriate forum

OP
MacForever
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Tower
Is there any other burning solutions besides this roxio, it wont take my cheap media anymore, cheers :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is there any other burning solutions besides this roxio, it wont take my cheap media anymore, cheers :)

If you're using crappy media, it's probably not the software as much as it is your actual drive. Roxio Toast is probably one of the best packages out there. I've yet to run into something that I couldn't burn with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts AGAIN

OP
MacForever
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Tower
Thanks, one more question, if i upgrade to Roxio 8, will i still have that problem with the cheap media?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, one more question, if i upgrade to Roxio 8, will i still have that problem with the cheap media?

Let me ask you this - is the problem that you burn discs, go to use them in your favorite CD/DVD player and they don't work? If so, then yes, cheap media sucks. That's why it's cheap - it doesn't work with everything. The software has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I am going to agree with cwa. I've never had an ounce of trouble with Toast on any Mac I've used. I also stay away from cheap media, especialy Memorex. Their DL DVD's are absolutely pathetic.
I would suspect it is the disc and not the software.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Toast has nothing to do with your issues. It's the Cheep media not getting along with the DVD burner in your Mac. I also agree with CWA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere is the open source BURN, but I find Toast is fine

burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Somewhat off-topic, but why would you use cheap media? I presume you are recording to a CD or DVD because you want to keep the data. If that is so, then you need to be aware that cheap media, even those manufactured by brand name companies, will fail after a while, if they even work at all. They are not archival. As with all things, you get what you pay for when it comes to digital media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As others have suggested there are good quality media available such as Verbatim. Toast 8 is much quicker than earlier versions.

Cheap media will always produce drink coasters or bird deterrents no matter what software you sue.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As others have suggested there are good quality media available such as Verbatim. Toast 8 is much quicker than earlier versions.

Cheap media will always produce drink coasters or bird deterrents no matter what software you sue.

Agreed on the Verbatim media. I have had the best luck with Verbatim on both my PC's and Macs burners. It's the brand I have stuck with now for a long time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed on the Verbatim media. I have had the best luck with Verbatim on both my PC's and Macs burners. It's the brand I have stuck with now for a long time.

I like TDK, have always had very good luck with their media.

Reaction score
Second on the TDK. Never had any problems with it and can get it right down the street at the local Walgreens, usually on sale.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Second on the TDK. Never had any problems with it and can get it right down the street at the local Walgreens, usually on sale.

Costco (not sure if you have them there) usually has the DVD+/- discs in 100 count bulk packages very inexpensively. A couple of months ago, they actually had a buy one, get one free deal with coupon. So, I have 200 TDK DVD+Rs for something like $35. Unreal...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.