Keyboard Mystery

Reaction score
Hi. I have an apple keyboard and some of the buttons are confusing me. When I try to use the Question mark symbol,,this is what i get,, é or É,, I also get the same when I try to use the apostrophe or parenthesis. Also the decimal on my num pad is a comma, not a decimal. I went into the keyboard settings thinking it may have been on french but didnt see any settings I could change. Does anyone have a suggestion I could try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Go to System Preferences-International
You will now see a long list of languages. Ignore these, and click on "Input Menu", on the top right.
This is the keyboard layout window. Scroll down using the bar on the right, and when you have found your desired language, click on the check box on the left to activate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4GBram 500GB HD
Hola?
I followed the instructions provided by Soulwar on 02.29.2008 and I can, by changing from Spanish (I am in Cancun, Mexico) to English get the "comma" in the numeric keypad to operate as a "period".
But then I am loosing accents and some keys are now in a different position (like parenthesis).

It seems to me that the problem is that in Spain (an maybe some parts of Latin America) the comma is the decimal separator; however, in Mexico (and several countries in Latin America) use the period as the decimal separator (similar to the way it is used in the USofA).

There must be a way to make ONLY the change to that one key without affecting the whole keyboard.
Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black 4Gb Ram
Did you find out how to do it?

I'm trying to find out how to do the same thing. I have a Norwegian Keyboard, but want to change, JUST the comma on my number pad on my external keyboard to a period, for use in numbers. I want to keep my country settings to keep the æøå letters, and i also want to keep the numeric digit separations the way they are.
Or is there a way to make numbers accept comma instead of period?

Did you get any closer to a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Under the general OS system prefrences go to "Language & Text". And there go to the formats tab. And you can edit how numbers look on your computer. You can accept your countries standard or you can customise it as you see fit.

Now will fix the numbers issue in numbers? I'm not sure but it's worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black 4Gb Ram
Thanks for the reply!

Found out there was inconsistencies in the setup. Some US and some norwegian. Got everything turned into Norwegian, and now it seems to work.

Made the change in System Preferences - Formats - Region

Have good weekend!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.