Added RAM, computer SLOWER?

A

adiliegro

I thought the dual Channel ram was supposed to make the computer a bit faster. I had 768 megs of RAM in my iMac G5 and today i got my 512 stick from Crucial. Popped it in so I now have a gig of RAM in there. Seems the machine slowed down. The RAM is being recognized and all, but I thought having two 512 sticks in there would activate the dual channel and make this thing fly...NOT.

Maybe I need to upgrade it to 2 gigs? I just cant figure out why it actually feels a bit slower to me. Maybe Im overexpecting or something...who knows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
First: To benefit of the dual channel advantage, you need to have two identical RAM modules, means exactly identical in every spec. To ensure this, you need to buy them in pairs from the same manufacturer. It's not really a must, but the best way to make sure that both modules are really identical.

Second: The speed increase will not make your iMac fly. It's not that much faster.

Third: It is simply not possible that adding more RAM slows down your PC, unless one of the modules is bad.

OP
T

The mac 13

adiliegro said:
I thought the dual Channel ram was supposed to make the computer a bit faster. I had 768 megs of RAM in my iMac G5 and today i got my 512 stick from Crucial. Popped it in so I now have a gig of RAM in there. Seems the machine slowed down. The RAM is being recognized and all, but I thought having two 512 sticks in there would activate the dual channel and make this thing fly...NOT.

Maybe I need to upgrade it to 2 gigs? I just cant figure out why it actually feels a bit slower to me. Maybe Im overexpecting or something...who knows?

Ram dont make the mac faster..it allows you to have more softwares running at one time efficienbtly- thats if you have lots of ram..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The mac 13 said:
Ram dont make the mac faster..it allows you to have more softwares running at one time efficienbtly- thats if you have lots of ram..

More RAM means the system usues less virtual memory on the harddisk, so it makes the computer working and reacting significantly faster. This is true for EVERY computer, not just Macs.

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

More ram give the appearance of speed. If you are on dialup internet, then more memory will make things appear faster because pages will load faster.

It also gives the appearance of reliability. A program may crash without having enough memory. Give it some more to work with, and wow it seems to crash less often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.