Nikon D300 Users/ViewNX/Nikon Transfer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I bought my camera in November the first week they came out, and never bothered to install the Nikon software bundle because I was using my windows pc with a CF card reader. Just got my iMac about two weeks ago, and finally installed the Nikon software two nights ago, but I noticed Nikon Transfer didn't work no matter what I did with the camera or cable. The software installed from the CD and then said an update was available so I downloaded and installed. Looked fine until I tried to DL my camera.

I called Nikon tech support and it turned out that between MS (Vista) and Apple (Leopard/Tiger) workloads they still haven't tweaked the software to work with OSX, and they guy wasn't even aware that v.10.5.2 was released!

So obviously, the only work-around at this point is using a CF card reader. He said there was nothing in the schedule so he couldn't even predict when they will release a new patch/update. I thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else ran up against this. That being said... if anyone got the latest Nikon software to work with v.10.5.2 please share with us how you did it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I would bet that you're not going to be happy with the Nikon software even if you got it to work.

I use Canons, but abandoned the packaged software when I got Lightroom. I can download files directly into LR, and immediately begin editing the images.

It saves me a wasted step in the workflow process.

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Capture NX works for me.

You're using a D300, Capture NX, a Mac running OS 10.5.2 and the Nikon Transfer module is functioning? I guess I could try another install, or maybe not use the CD and download directly from Nikon... but it still doesn't explain Nikon telling me that they can't guarantee compatibility with anything beyond 10.4.x???? I wonder if I can just trash the Transfer Module, it opens every time I open Aperture and I have to Quit it because the three LH corner buttons are grey'd out and non-functional.

Eori... You never know until you try it. I've had numerous digital cameras including a couple of Canons and yeah... most of the software I've seen is worthless, but I've heard that Nikon's is not so bad. To tell the truth, I normally read a card and use Photoshop CS2 because I still have different media devices in my Nikon, Sony, and Kodak cameras, but that was on my PC. I ordered CS3 and should have it tomorrow or Monday, and I'm already running Aperture so I have some choices.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
NX works for me with my D300 and Macbook running Leopard

But hey junk NX and get Aperture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm curious as to why you would want to use ViewNX if all you'll be doing is downloading, and you're editing using some other software? Since I use LightRoom, and not Aperture, I don't know how simple (or not) the download and image previewing is with Aperture, but with LR, both can be achieved easily, and then I can jump right in to applying PP edits. No need to close the Canon software, and then have to load and reopen the images again in CS3 or LR after locating that file. It's one less step in the workflow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6 C2D 4GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 3GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 2GB 15"
I have a D200 and have used a D300 to shoot with NX and Aperture 2. Both work great. (MBP w/Leopard) I much prefer using Aperture to NX saves time and gives me more functionality. In tethered mode with both cameras I can set it so a full screen image loads as I am shooting and I love the little info pop up that tells me info about the shot (i.e. iso, fstop, etc.) Very handy for studio work. And if I want to make edits I am just a click/button press away...I was using Lightroom and decided that I would try Aperture 2 when it came out. I am still on my 30 free trial.....and it is winning me over quite quickly....

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I definitely must have had a bad install, and it sounds like you guys might like Aperture and/or Lightroom so I'll trash the Nikon stuff and play with Aperture since I have it up and running without any hiccups.

mscadden... did you find it fairly intuitive (Aperture 2) or did you use the online tutorial to get a feel for all the bells and whistles?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was using Lightroom and decided that I would try Aperture 2 when it came out. I am still on my 30 free trial.....and it is winning me over quite quickly....

What do you like about Aperture 2 that you find superior to LR? My only hesitation to switch at this point would be 1) I've already got a fairly large library of images edited in LR, and 2) I've spent $200 (during the introductory offer) on LR, and 3) I would have concerns about just how to seemlessly integrate CS3 into the work flow were I to switch.

In other words, Aperture 2 would have to really blow me away to make the switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6 C2D 4GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 3GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 2GB 15"
I definitely must have had a bad install, and it sounds like you guys might like Aperture and/or Lightroom so I'll trash the Nikon stuff and play with Aperture since I have it up and running without any hiccups.

mscadden... did you find it fairly intuitive (Aperture 2) or did you use the online tutorial to get a feel for all the bells and whistles?

So far pretty intuitive....but I did watch the online tutorials anyway just to see if there was any cool things that I was missing. I have found it to be a more that adequate program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.