Water damage

Reaction score
Hi,
Here is the situation, a little bit of water was spilled on my laptop.
It did stay on for 5 minutes but once i picked it it up it shut off i took a towel and got the water off i could see, I turned it back on and it shut down immediately. So I went upstairs and took a hair blower and carefully blew on it for 3 minutes (cold air), I turned it upside down over night. (the battery is out of the lap top). I then took a fan at low setting and made it blow on it for a few hours. I tried to start it back up and it worked I played around for 5 minutes went on the internet with it and decided to shut it back off and keep it the fan on it upside down.

Question, the fact that it turned on and seemed to work fine, is it a good sign? or I'm just getting my hopes up for nothing.

PS: the water seemed to have spilled in between the lcd bracket, a bit on the edge of the keyboard and the edge of one speaker (left).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
What I would do is keep it another over nighter with the fan on it. Just to be safe. then tomorrow power back on and play some music(to see if the speaker works), and fiddle with the keys that got water on them, make sure that the backlight works etc. You might have just gotten lucky and nothing happened.

Did the water that got on the screen go in between the screen, so there was water in the bottom of the screen, that you couldn't wipe it off?

Welcome to the Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz Macbook Pro 200 Gig HD 2g Ram, Thinkpad X200: 2.4 GHz 160 GB HD and 3GB of RAM, 500 GB TimeCa
What happened with your computer?

Hi,
It did stay on for 5 minutes but once i picked it it up it shut off i took a towel and got the water off i could see, I turned it back on and it shut down immediately. So I went upstairs and took a hair blower and carefully blew on it for 3 minutes (cold air), I turned it upside down over night. (the battery is out of the lap top). I then took a fan at low setting and made it blow on it for a few hours. I tried to start it back up and it worked I played around for 5 minutes went on the internet with it and decided to shut it back off and keep it the fan on it upside down.

Question, the fact that it turned on and seemed to work fine, is it a good sign? or I'm just getting my hopes up for nothing.

PS: the water seemed to have spilled in between the lcd bracket, a bit on the edge of the keyboard and the edge of one speaker (left).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
Sometimes you can get lucky mixing electronics and water. I once had my
cell phone go through the washing machine, pulled it out, let it dry out, turned it on and it worked perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Hi,

Im a avid believer in the best protection that i can purchase for my electronics.
Go here:
www.safeware.com
ask to speak with a lady by the name of :Lynn
800-800-1492 9am to 7pm EST Monday - Friday.
The reason why i am suggesting this company is because they cover everything!
Accidental damage
theft
fire
power surges
Natural Disasters including earthquake and flood
Vandalism
The apple care protection plan covers none of these correct?Yes correct.I have those as well , but for the water spilling on a laptop keyboard,i would suggest protection!
I paid a one time payment for each mac book air(total of 3) 320.00 for the entire year.That is $100.00 for each laptop
For my desktop set up (which cost me 2,800)
I paid 52.00 for the year
Now...There is no deductible that i will have to pay if i call and say that my newborn son took a hammer to my imac and one of the mac book airs.they will just replace them.
Sorry just thought i would pass the information allong!

OP
K
Reaction score
the screen seemed like it did not get hit. Do you think I should wait longer like 7 days or something like that.

Let me know
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
a week seems to me to be a bit of an overkill, by now all the water has either damaged something or everything is ok.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Im a avid believer in the best protection that i can purchase for my electronics.
Go here:
www.safeware.com
Accidental damage
theft
fire
power surges
Vandalism
The apple care protection plan covers none of these correct?Yes correct.I have those as well , but for the water spilling on a laptop keyboard,i would suggest protection!
I paid a one time payment for each mac book air(total of 3) 320.00 for the entire year.That is $100.00 for each laptop
Now...There is no deductible that i will have to pay if i call and say that my newborn son took a hammer to my imac and one of the mac book airs.they will just replace them.

Hi:

Thanks for the great tip! :D Just went to their website and read up on their policies and FAQ. Looks like the way to go for any college student worrying about the theft of his\her machine. Also a great idea for anyone who owns computers especially laptops. I'm definitely going to buy a policy. Thanks again.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
me too!

Same thing happened to my macbook pro. spilled water on it a lot of water 16 fl oz. Next day after having a 2 fans blow on the motherboard for the night at full speed, it works just fine. battery is shot to **** along with the speakers but everything else is in proper working order. I would suggest trying to dry out your machine amap. Then if your considering turning it on to test it go for it. I do have a question to ask though. My fan speeds seem to be running at abnormally high speeds. I downloaded the fan control program for mac but that didn't correct the problem. Could some one suggest something? greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Go here:
Laptop, Desktop, Tablet PC and PDA/Smartphone insurance from Safeware Insurance Agency, Inc.
Accidental damage
theft
fire
power surges
Vandalism

Whoa! That's an awesome program! I am sold for one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Same thing happened to my macbook pro. spilled water on it a lot of water 16 fl oz. Next day after having a 2 fans blow on the motherboard for the night at full speed, it works just fine. battery is shot to **** along with the speakers but everything else is in proper working order. I would suggest trying to dry out your machine amap. Then if your considering turning it on to test it go for it. I do have a question to ask though. My fan speeds seem to be running at abnormally high speeds. I downloaded the fan control program for mac but that didn't correct the problem. Could some one suggest something? greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the thermal sensor could be bad or the cpu could be running very
hot a very handy item to download in widgets is i-sat pro it will show all the
temps and fan speed takes the guess work out of the equation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I believe the thermal sensors are out of wack. It says my computer is really warm when it isnt. to have this fixed should I have someone look at it or is it a problem I could fix myself. I have downloaded programs that supposedly control fan speeds but the apple programming overrides the software I got so the fans run at high speeds anyways. help would be greatly appreciated. once again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
a week seems to me to be a bit of an overkill, by now all the water has either damaged something or everything is ok.

You've never dealt with wet electronics have you? A week is MINIMUM for me when dealing with devices that have gone for a swim.

Too many times, people get in a hurry and turn their device back on before it's completely dry, and end up causing damage.

I posted in another thread that I saved a laptop from a full cup of coffee spilled on the keyboard by taking it apart, washing with water, and drying in a warm location. From start to finish it was about a week......and going on 2 years later, the laptop is still doing fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
Leave it off for a week or two chances are better .

Reaction score
Water Damage on Mac

Today i had some water spill on my mac. When i lift it up it auto turn off, i press the on button again start and auto turn off... after that, I cleaned it , i blow some air with a blower ... i left it upside down with the point that water was more at the button and after 3 hours i turned it and it seems that is working fine..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
<Sigh> How do you guys find these year old threads anyway? Just go to the last page and see what post you can have input on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.