• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

youtube and uploading

T

TheMonkeyProjec

So I finally figured out how to import my movies from my camcorder. Now they're on my hard drive, in .mov format.

I tried uploading one of them to both photobucket and youtube and it was going to take FOREVER. Should I be converting them to something else first, or is it just something I'll have to deal with?

btw, the movie is 78MB and 1min 30sec

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
So I finally figured out how to import my movies from my camcorder. Now they're on my hard drive, in .mov format.

I tried uploading one of them to both photobucket and youtube and it was going to take FOREVER. Should I be converting them to something else first, or is it just something I'll have to deal with?

btw, the movie is 78MB and 1min 30sec

Thanks in advance...

Mpeg stream clip.There is a guy by the name of Brian who has tutorials on this sort of stuff.I as well have just purchased a hdd camcorder and with his tutorials it made it allot easier.To actually down size the films itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
FIRST! Please define FOREVER, tell us you connection details, and tell us the video details (length and screen size).

There is no magic in uploading as far as time goes. Your connection speed is what ever it is and Youtube isn't the quickest in this regard.

What you can do is review their tips. Render (export) the movie to the screen size they recommend and make it the best quality you can but no more than 100MB as they limit the upload size to non-Windows machines.

Oh. And remember that Youtube compresses the **** out of what ever you give them, so the quality will never be close to what you upload. At least that is what my experiments show.

P.S.
Using a special Windows plugin for browsers, you can upload upto a 1GB file.

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

FIRST! Please define FOREVER, tell us you connection details, and tell us the video details (length and screen size).

There is no magic in uploading as far as time goes. Your connection speed is what ever it is and Youtube isn't the quickest in this regard.

What you can do is review their tips. Render (export) the movie to the screen size they recommend and make it the best quality you can but no more than 100MB as they limit the upload size to non-Windows machines.

Oh. And remember that Youtube compresses the **** out of what ever you give them, so the quality will never be close to what you upload. At least that is what my experiments show.

P.S.
Using a special Windows plugin for browsers, you can upload upto a 1GB file.

Well, when i tried to upload it to photobucket, it was going 1% about every 3-4 minutes. It's 1 minute, 30 seconds, and 853x480.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
That does sound slow. Have you tested your internet connection speed? Tried a different browser? Maybe it was just bad timing and you hit a problem beyond your control?

If I did my math right, that 78MB file would take me around 20 minutes to upload at 527kbps. But you have to remember the service you are uploading to has its issues, so maybe can't actually handle that.

You indicate you don't know what codec to upload. Try exporting the file to the H.264 format.

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

my upload speed was 1615kb/s. I'm going to try uploading the file to photobucket again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.