where did the pdf's go?

Y

yor.g.

hi http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=0&forumid=29# people

i was flicking through an old mac magazine and came across a set of instructions to change the dock's background by simply changing the pdf's *left.pdf, middle.pdf and right.pdf* these are supposed to be found in system/library/coreservices/dock.app/contents/recources. as you may well be guessing by now, mine are not there. this exercise was intended for jaguar and i am now running panther 10.3.5. i am guessing apple has moved them. does anyone have any idea how to find these pdf's?

i am not that keen on ape haxies.... bad experience.... not to mention the haxie makers freely admit haxies are prone to breaking when systems are upgraded. i think it would be safer to modify the actual pdf, if not a little more inconvenient to change.

i will just quickly add my system is running fine, the dock looks as it should with its translucent white background. i would just like to change it if i can.

cheers

yor.g.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Jaguar is OS X 10.2 where as Panther is 10.3.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is possible that in OS 10.2 you will find the pdfs. Apple may have made changes in OS 10.3.

OP
Y

yor.g.

thanks for your response rman

unfortunately you haven't been able to answer my question, though we both might be on to something with the idea that 'apple may have changed something in panther' regarding the dock pdf's.

could someone with 10.3.5 please check the package contents in the dock.app and let me know if the pdf files 'middle' 'left' and 'right' can be found there :).

if you are not sure just follow system/library/coreservices/dock (then control click dock and choose 'view package contents', then look inside the resources folder)

thank you in advance

yor.g.

OP
W

Wapa18

no, no pdf's on my system. there's a whole bunch of png files, but no pdf's.

OP
Y

yor.g.

Wapa18 said:
no, no pdf's on my system. there's a whole bunch of png files, but no pdf's.

thanks wapa18 :cool:
mine is exactly the same. so back to the original query..... where did the pdf's go?

yor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Maybe they are png's now? And you edit the png's instead of the pdf's...

OP
Y

yor.g.

Murlyn said:
Maybe they are png's now? And you edit the png's instead of the pdf's...

murlyn,

thanks for your suggestion

i've looked at the png's in the resources folder as well. i'm very happy to believe that the pdf's may now be png's, jpg's, pict's or whatever. i just don't have any idea at present where they might be. i have looked throughout the entire coreservices folder; subfolders and package contents, and not been able to find the dock backgrounds image file's.

perhaps the names of the files have changed also?

any other ideas, anyone??

yor

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn, thanks for translating my response. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.