hard drive

Reaction score
My daughter recently brought a second hand mac book. She called the other day and when she turns it on all that comes up is the folder with the question mark in it. Anyhow Ive had this computer sent home but when she moved out to uni she lost her install disk. Apple want silly money to replace this. Ive tried to install an off the shelf version of leopard and it tells me it is unable to install it on this computer. If I installed a new hard drive with leopard on this would this solve this particular problem or am i about to get fleeced by apple? I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD
My daughter recently brought a second hand mac book. She called the other day and when she turns it on all that comes up is the folder with the question mark in it. Anyhow Ive had this computer sent home but when she moved out to uni she lost her install disk. Apple want silly money to replace this. Ive tried to install an off the shelf version of leopard and it tells me it is unable to install it on this computer. If I installed a new hard drive with leopard on this would this solve this particular problem or am i about to get fleeced by apple? I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have

What MacBook do you have? What version of the Leopard installer do you have? There should be no issue with installing Leopard on a hard drive and then putting it in the machine, however with some MacBooks there may be issues with the scrolling trackpad (not being able to control scrolling with 2 fingers).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
The flashing folder screen is usually indicative of a corrupted startup disk or a corrupted install of OSX. Chances are, the hard drive's gone. Either that, or your OS is gone.

BUT NEVER FEAR FOR HELP IS HERE on the forums. Although not entirely from me xD cus I'm simple like that ;)

From your OSX install utility, choose the disk utility, and try formatting the drive. This should clear the drive of any image faults it may have and remount the drive squeaky clean. Then try and install OSX on there. If this doesn't work, it's perfectly easy to replace the HDD for relatively little :) I replaced mine not too long ago with a 250 GB hard drive and it works sweet as a nut now :)

lemme know if there's anything more I can do

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.