CD-ROM to CDRW/DVD-ROM Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have recently inherited a 12" -book from my son. It is a twin USB model of 2001 vintage. As bought, it came with a DVD ROM. In order to improve its flexibility, I have fitted a CDRW/DVD-ROM. This is a used Apple-branded Toshiba SD-R2002 which appears to come from an iBook (judging by the bezel). The drive works fine as a CD-ROM but I cannot get it to find DVDs. The iBook is running OSX 10.1.5.

Grateful for any advice that might help me enable the DVD-ROM function.

Many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
drivers for the device might be out of date or not install properly maybe?

Reaction score
Mac OS 10.1 was always a bit on the tempramental side.
I myself just aquired a 500MHz iBook G3 and when i received it it was running the original mac os x. After using it for about 10 minutes i could not believe how slow the interface was, sluggish and unresponsive to a very frustrating point. I soon found many descriptions online of apples original OS X and found this was to be expected, along with many other software problems, including some with the DVD drives.
I never got around to testing a DVD drive with it before i upgraded (i have an external firewire drive, i havnt upgraded the internal one) but i soon upgraded the system to 10.3.9 and it it much faster, much more responsive and a great little machine to use, even though its running with most basic amount of RAM.
But my advice to you is this, upgrade the system to 10.3 or even 10.2, this should give it the boost it needs to find the right up to date drivers for your drive, and even if it dosnt fix it, im sure you'll be very pleased with the speed the ibook will work at compared to with 10.1.

Best of luck and i hope i helped.

D.
;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.