Otterbox Cases

Reaction score
Does anyone have or know someone who has either the Otterbox Defender case or the Otterbox Armor case for the iphone?

I'm wondering how well each of them protect the iphone and how well you can still use the iphone when the either case is on the iphone. Also, how much heavy they are when the iphone is in them.

One specific question I have is if it's possible to purchase a belt clip to attach to the Armor case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I have the Armor case...

It's awesome! I have the Invisible Shield from shieldzone.com on for everyday use but when I go to the beach or out on the boat I use the Otterbox. It totally protects the phone. Since the case is water tight there is a headphone jack built into the case. That means to use the phone you HAVE to use the head set. You also cannot sync or use any accessories that use the doc port. Which really isn't a problem because I only use the case while outdoors. It goes in and out of the case in a snap, well two snaps on the back of the case.

It does add a lot of bulk but it is worth the piece of mind it provides.

I am not aware of any belt clips for it. Otterbox decided to add a window for the Apple logo on the back instead of a screw hole.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmmmm... I was watching the instructional video for the defender one and they show a film that you're supposed to lay on your iPhone screen. Does the Armor have something like that? So you can't use the iPhone without the headset at all?? No calls? Also, can you use ANY headphones with the case instead of just the ear buds that come with it (because of the recessed headphone jack)???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
The Armor case is like all other Otterbox cases I've had/have. There is a full face protector but it is part of the case and not removable.

You can use the iPhone without the headset but no sound. I just tried to use the case and speaker phone. I could hear but the on the other end they get static because of the passthrough jack. The jack is not recessed so I would think you could use any set of headphones but to use the phone you'll need the mic. I have upgraded my headset by replacing the earbuds.

http://www.ultimatebuds.com/store/home.php

OP
A
Reaction score
Do you know of any cases that are similar to the otterbox cases but allow you to use it without headphones??

Reaction score
I ha e the defender and I would never use anything else. Yeah it makes it feel like a Sony PSP but I know it's not going to get all banged up.
The only thing I don't like is that I think it has to be this protected because it falls out of the holster so much. The holster is a POS. I'm shopping around for a place that makes custom kydex holsters like the form shaped gun holsters. This would be ideal because it wouldn't be overly bulky, it'd be a tight fit, and the material is indestructible. If/when I get my hands on one I'll sure to
post pics and a link to where I got it.
Right now I'm using an old bucket boss PDA holster. It's
huge but the phone isn't going anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.06Ghz, 4MB Ram, 1TB HDD
I have a defender case coming for mine either tomorrow or Monday. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I saw these cases in action at CES 2010. The guy at their booth literally took it off his belt and chucked it toward the ground. I'm saying he threw it like a baseball! Picked it up and it was just fine.

Reaction score
I have the defender too and quit using it. I fall out WAY too easy and I have broken 6 of the belt clips (holster) since december. Otterbox has replaced them each time- usually with the wrong color so I have to get them to send me he correct color (so I have a few extra holsters)

It IS very protective for damage but it WILL not stay in the holster worth a darn!

Reaction score
PastorK

I'll definitely let you know when j vet something that holds it better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.06Ghz, 4MB Ram, 1TB HDD
I just got my defender case and its great so far! I don't quite understand why everyone is having problems keeping them in the holster because I find it hard to get mine out of the darn thing! Two hand operation, snaps right in there.

Reaction score
I didn't know they still made the Armor case. The Defender is fantastic. My son and wife both have theirs in one and they are indestructible. There is a built in screen protector, but it's very good and there's a good youtube video on how to use just a breath of baby power to get rid of any bubbling (works like a charm).

I don't use one because the bulk doesn't work for me (I wear a suit to work), but I also am not in position to expose the iPhone to much dropping on concrete or asphalt.

Definitely worth getting the Defender. You can use the phone easily in the case (without headphones).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.