New AirPort Extreme - Not doing its job =(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2.4GHz - 2GB Ram - 160GB - 8x Super Drive
The first problem it is having is with my External Hard Drive. I forgot the manufacture of the hard drive, but it has no problems with my PC. I bought a USB hub and it connects fine to the printer but I get a problem when I try to connect my Ext. HDD it says "Problem 1 of 1: Disk needs repair. There is a problem with the disk connected to your base station. Connect the disk to your computer to repair the disk." That doesn't make much sense to me, and I don't know which computer i need to connect it to? my new macbook or my old PC? The next problem is my old windows PC (Vista) can not find my printer that is now connected to my Airport via 4 port hub. My macbook has no problem at all seeing the printer, but my PC can not find it, and wont print any more. Sorry for such a long post but I think someone out there will know how to fix this. Thank you in advance.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Is the USB hub powered?

If you connect the printer or the HDD directly to the Airport Extreme do you still experience the same problems?

OP
Tesla760
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes the USB Hub is powered, have not tried to connect it directly will do that tomorrow, its late now and i'm off to bed, will try that tomorrow after work. Thanks for fast response.

OP
Tesla760
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the hard drive works when i connect it through USB Directly to my Macbook. It also works when i connect it directly to my PC. All the files are there and can be accessed. It is just unseen by both the PC and Macbook when its going through the airport. Any other ideas??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So the hard drive works when i connect it through USB Directly to my Macbook. It also works when i connect it directly to my PC. All the files are there and can be accessed. It is just unseen by both the PC and Macbook when its going through the airport. Any other ideas??

So neither works when connected directly to the airport extreme rather than through the hub?

OP
Tesla760
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well now i can see it when i open airport utilities, both the printer and hard drive.. I just cant open it or access the files inside of the hard drive, its there though, inside airport utilities. I click on manual setup when I open airport utilities and its there, under disks. I checked it off to be shared but cant find it or open the hard drive so I can get to the files inside of it...

OP
Tesla760
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also I am not getting the problem I was getting before "Problem 1 of 1: Disk needs repair." - this is no longer an issue -, and now the light to the airport is green, it use to be amber, so i'm getting closer to fixing it, just missing one small thing... I think ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also I am not getting the problem I was getting before "Problem 1 of 1: Disk needs repair." - this is no longer an issue -, and now the light to the airport is green, it use to be amber, so i'm getting closer to fixing it, just missing one small thing... I think ...

Sorry to sound like a broken record but do you get this problem when the hard disk is connected directly to the airport? I.e. without the hub being used?

OP
Tesla760
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, same thing.. it is being recognized when I open Airport Utility, but I can not access it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I returned the firmware to the older version and it doesn't say the disk needs repair anymore, but i am unable to access the disk through the aebs.

Reaction score
There are a number of things it could be, the one which was scuppering me was that the hard drive was formatted as FAT32 but the partition was HPS+. The mac can handle this, the Airport Express can't and seems to wig out. Formatting both as HPS+ corrected the issue.

More details here: disk needs repair | Tumblr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.