12" powerbook g4 for web/graphic design?

L

ladymoz

Hello everyone (I'm new here),

I am an art major and a freelance web designer. I've used a PC all this time and it's been good to me, but I'm itching to get a new powerbook g4 after all the great things I've heard about it (we use macs in class and the performance is phenomenal). My main programs are adobe photoshop cs and macromedia dreamweaver, and i was wondering if the 12" powerbook g4 would get the job done for small design work. I'm always on the go, and aside from wanting a laptop for class notes, I want something I can update sites or make graphics on. Is the 12" too small for these tasks? If I could hear from designers with the 12" powerbook g4 I would really appreciate it. Obviously, the 15" and 17" powerbooks would be ideal, but that's not an option for me. And...the 12" powerbooks are just so **** cute. :girl:

Basically, I want to know if those programs can be used easily and those tasks can be accomplished on the 12" powerbook g4 without too much strain. If yes, then I'll run out and get one a.s.a.p.!

Many thanks,
MD

OP
M

m1k

Oh yeah, that'll work for ya. I have a 12" PB, and while I don't do graphic design, I've used PhotoShop, and with 512MB of RAM the performance is pretty darn amazing. I do play quite a few games, though, and I can tell you that the 12" will run any game with the graphics levels at the highest without a hitch. It's that powerful.

The 12" can easily do all of your tasks. Just be sure to bump the RAM up to at least 512MB, it makes a world of difference.

Get it, you won't regret it. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I second that!

m1k said:
Oh yeah, that'll work for ya. I have a 12" PB, and while I don't do graphic design, I've used PhotoShop, and with 512MB of RAM the performance is pretty darn amazing. I do play quite a few games, though, and I can tell you that the 12" will run any game with the graphics levels at the highest without a hitch. It's that powerful.

The 12" can easily do all of your tasks. Just be sure to bump the RAM up to at least 512MB, it makes a world of difference.

Get it, you won't regret it. Good luck!

Agreed, and definately go with more RAM. I've 768 in my 12" PB, even runs VirtualPC pretty darn well for Windows2000 Server and WindowsXP.

OP
I

iSheep

I use Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Photoshop Elements (can't afford the full one). I've got 768MB RAM. All three applications work perfectly well at the same time running at top-notch speed. I usually plug it into an external monitor, just gives that bit much more room.

OP
M

MickMAC

I would say that if your always on the go and you want it for taking notes in class, then you should go with the 12inch... It will run all of your programs without a problem, just make sure you get as much ram as you can afford...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
and if ever, you can always get a nice sized tft monitor to use your powerbook on whenever you work from home.

OP
L

ladymoz

thank you

Thank you all SO MUCH for your input.

You've put me at ease; as soon as I can I'm ordering the 12" powerbook! I can't wait!

(p.s. more input is still appreciated, for those of you who have something to add on this powerbook)

MD

OP
M

MickMAC

just one thing,

once you get it, it will be by far the coolest thing you own. your gonna love it.

I have the 17in and it replaces my desktop G4 I sold about 3 days after getting the laptop. I wish I had the 12in also for travel and web surfing. but I will never part with my 17in screen. the size/weight is the price I have to pay to take my laptop to the lake and get my freelance work done, like I was working on a desktop unit!

OP
L

ladymoz

I'm in love!

After all the great advice, I went to my campus computer store and bought the 12" powerbook! I got a great educational discount. I can't take my eyes off this thing - it is so beautiful, light and so easy to use. Thank you everyone, for all the help!

MD

OP
M

MickMAC

Congrats! Now you get to collect all of the cool little add ons that will kill your bank account even more!

Enjoy

OP
M

m1k

Yeah, glad to hear you got it!

And I agree with MickMAC, the PowerBooks have sooo many addons from various companies that'll kill your account. For Christmas I'm thinking of getting the iCurve (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/icurve/) and an external USB keyboard, so it'll feel more like a desktop. Oh, and an external CD-RW drive so I can copy CD's faster. And maybe an external FireWire hard drive, to back up my hard drive? The options are limitless.

Go crazy, and your bank account will suffer.

Good luck!

OP
M

MickMAC

or the:
Wireless mouse
Wireless Keyboard
Isight
Airport Express for air toons
laptop Bags
radtech screen saver
radtech PowerBook Sleve
external monitor
2 extra batteries
iclear cleaner
Rain Design Ilap

and what else, I know there is more. My wife is pissed.

But my PowerBook still loves me!

OP
T

TylerMoney

Yes, you will enjoy your powerbook for that kind of work. When I started school for graphic design, all I knew were pcs...well, in classes we worked with macs. So the first chance I got, I bought myself a powerbook....and it's been a great experience. With 768mg ram, I do very well. My average day for what my comptuer runs is as follows: photoshop cs, illustrator cs, InDesign cs, iChat, safari, iTunes, and sometimes word..all at the same time. And my machine handles it pretty darn well. I'm hoping to make my christmas present this year a 1gig stick of ram...so I can take my powerbook to it's highest level.

I haven't bought many addons or extras yet..the powerbook and iPod were enough to kill my bank account several months ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.