Will a bit of water ruin my screen?

Reaction score
While making dinner this eve. I accidently spilled a bit of water on my macbook screen (it was sitting open). I hastily wiped it off, but some water dripped down into the part where the screen ends and the plastic covering begins. Where the little lip is. I went to get on the computer later and noticed a little discoloration in the corner where the spill dripped. Is my screen ruined? Or if I turn it off and let it sit will it dry out and be back to normal again? HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Well try taking the battery out and letting it sit for a while a day or two to be on the safe side. And then power it back on, the discoloration should go away. If you can, try and take off the casing and dry it out, but When i got my phone wet and the screen was blurring i let it sit a while and took a hair dryer on low heat and low fan speed and tried to dry up the water that way, but I don't know how this would react to a Macbook screen.

Sorry your first post had to be a cry for help:(

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the help but I don't know what the casing is you are talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
When i say case i'm referring to the screen assembly.
But upon further research into the warranty I WOULDN'T do it because it voids your warranty.

In most cases I've read about once water gets between the screen you can pretty much kiss it good buy, it will start leaving streaks, and if it does dry up it will have a water stain.

But if you are over on your warranty here is a link that shows how to take apart the screen assembly http://www.icolours.ca/instructions/macbook/index.html

Leave it for a day or two and see what happens, you never know, you might get lucky!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
in my experiecne with laptops its never caused damage.. hopefully you'll get lucky.

OP
M
Reaction score
update on water behind my macbook screen

After much fretting and patience. I opened my laptop today (after not opening it since Wednesday) and found that the water that was there is gone!! No signs of any damage or anything. I am very happy and want to thank those that provided help for me!! Have fun! And thanks again! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
I did this with one of my old macbooks, but it was coffee not water. I let it dry out for days, and when I turned it back on the display was discolored on the bottom right hand corner. That part of the screen was permanently F*****. Glad to hear your's is back to normal. Moral of the story......don't drink coffee near your laptop. The handle broke on the cup, I didn't actually drop coffee on the MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 13" 2.0Ghz
They are tougher than you may think, I use mine outside (unavoidable due to my job) alot..last night it was exposed to heavy sleet and some rain. Not for long but certainly more than a dribble. I tend to just wipe it ober with a shammy leather and keep my fingers crossed. Been okay so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.