Reformating my new iMac G5 from 10.4 to Leopard

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Apple iMac desktop (G5) with 10.4, but when I got it, I couldn't get past the login screen. I have attempted to contact the previous owner for the login information but I haven't had any luck. I have also purchased Leopard and tried to boot from that disk (Yes, while holding down 'C' and all that jazz) but it doesn't work, either. I'm not quite sure, since I'm not really familiar with Macs.

Are there any programs I can buy/download to reset the passwords and/or skip past the login screen? Are there any other ways I can reformat this thing? Please help! I want to use my iMac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So you insert the Leopard DVD, restart the computer, hold down the "C" key while it's booting and it just takes you back tot he same login screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
You should see a completely different screen when you're holding down C on boot, it should be the leopard install screen, from which you can go to one of the options under the menu bar (I forget which) and reset the master password. If you don't get that screen, try holding down the option key, which should give you a choice of boot discs. If you don't even get that option, try holding down menu on your apple remote which will do the same thing.

I'd be very surprised if none of those work. If they don't, chances are you have a faulty CD drive and will need to get an external hard drive to boot off :(

OP
T
Reaction score
You should see a completely different screen when you're holding down C on boot, it should be the leopard install screen, from which you can go to one of the options under the menu bar (I forget which) and reset the master password. If you don't get that screen, try holding down the option key, which should give you a choice of boot discs. If you don't even get that option, try holding down menu on your apple remote which will do the same thing.

I'd be very surprised if none of those work. If they don't, chances are you have a faulty CD drive and will need to get an external hard drive to boot off :(

When I tried the option key, a gray screen came up with a lock with a password input. What do I do now?

OP
T
Reaction score
Muso, you can just PM me. You don't have to keep answering on here, too.
But if anyone else has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.