G3 or G4

Reaction score
Hi All,

I picked up an older iMac on Craigslist and I have a couple of questions because I got it to fix up and donate or let my kids play with but it is awesome and I am thinking about keeping it for myself.

The "About This Mac" page says it has a power PC G4 processor but it is the old style "bondi blue" machine. Did Apple make a machine a CRT iMac like that or has it been upgraded? It is running Jaguar and has 384 Mb of ram. I would like to find out more about it because I have a bigger hard drive that I can put in but I am going to have to buy an OS and I want to make sure I get the most recent one it can run.

I am shocked that I got a machine that is this good for free!

Thanks!
Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I'm running Tiger a G3 500Mhz iMac qith a Gig of RAM, runs extremely well, It's worth it to just simply max out the RAM.....can't go wrong

OP
R
Reaction score
Was it standard for max memory to be 1Gb? Also, I haven't looked inside but it appears to have 2 memory slots. Are both accessible? If I could put 1Gb or ram in the machine, I am confident it could run Panther or Tiger because it runs Jaguar so well right now as long as there are no minimum video card requirements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends on what model iMac the memory question. 384MB was the max for Rev A model Bondi Blues and 512MB for Revision B's. Try Tiger by all means, however a Revision A video card may well struggle with the graphics with only 2MB VRAM. Here is a link to Everymac's specs on the Bondi Blue. Don't know what difference the upgrade makes to memory, if any.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_ab.html

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone.

Harryb- I think this may be a version A machine because the guy used it to run his business and he probably maxed out the ram.

Will this machine support a bigger hard drive? How about a DVD drive?

I really like this machine. Can you tell? I would like to be able to use it as a regular machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep I can tell as your enthusiasm just shines through.

Changing the HDD is a tough job, and below is a link to the instructions and same with the DVD drive. But they will work. Was going to suggest an external USB DVD burner/drive but it will not be bootable.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2496/2001/10/howtoimac.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.