Upgrade Ram?

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade the RAM in my Macbook. I currently have the default 1gb (2 512mb stick) and I'm looking to purchase a 1gb stick of ram. My question is, is it wise to have 2 512mb sticks and 1 1gb stick? Also, will my Macbook have enough slots? I just bought this Macbook last week so I have the 2.2Ghz, 1GB, 120GB version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Your macbook only has 2 slots for ram. You'll have to buy 2 1GB sticks if you want 2GB's of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
Good news and bad news.

Bad: you have only 2 memory slots. To upgrade you will toss out the two 512M sticks you have now.

Good: memory is really cheap right now. I put 4GB into my MacBook for $95.

More Good News: It's really easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Im also thinking of upgrading to two 1gig sticks, I have seen on youtube it is very easy, my only question is after you have installed the new sticks do you just reboot or do have to alter any other settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
Im also thinking of upgrading to two 1gig sticks, I have seen on youtube it is very easy, my only question is after you have installed the new sticks do you just reboot or do have to alter any other settings

Just turn it on - no settings to adjust. OS X just sees it and off you go. First boot takes just a tiny bit longer but that's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Thanks David for the info

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.