myth?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 1.33MHZ
I don't know if this is true....my friend told me that I have to unplug the power cord from my computer FIRST, before unplugging it from the wall....she said if i just unplug it from the wall, that it will mess up the logic board....is this true? has anyone heard of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
it doenst do anything, i done that all the time no problems so far

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I've been doing it for months... computer seems fine.

Reaction score
You should always power down your computer first then it really doesn't matter which end you unplug first. If your computer is powered up and you unplug it, it really doesn't matter which end you unplug first it's all potientially bad.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 1.33MHZ
You should always power down your computer first then it really doesn't matter which end you unplug first. If your computer is powered up and you unplug it, it really doesn't matter which end you unplug first it's all potientially bad.

why? I like to take it wherever i go, and when i get near an outlet, i just plug myself back in....no good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Myth.

I unplug/plug in the power cord from the wall, from the computer, trip over it from time to time yanking it from the mag-safe (great feature) etc. all the time.

If logic board were getting fried by incorrect plugging it would be all over Apple's boards in uproar.

Macs are usually put to sleep for transport anyway. That's one of the advantages of a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I've been doing it for years.. no problems on any of my systems.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Bunch of malarkey. Just exactly how would the computer be able to tell which end of the cable was disconnected first? All it knows, it's either getting external power or it's not.

My MBP has been turned off a total of 2 times in 14 months (not counting the typical reboots you have to do on occasion). And it's unplugged, moved to another room, and re-plugged multiple times a week.

It's either a notebook and designed for mobil use or it's not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
verdejt HAD to be talking about desktops. I'm guessing the conversation here is referring to laptops...
???

Reaction score
Desktops or Laptops trons are trons like bobtomay says how does the computer know which end is unplugged first. If this discussion is about laptops then isn't it moot as laptops have internal batteries that take over as soon as 120volts is removed? Thedspeth how is VABCH I lived there for about 14 years but finally had to move back to NH for work. I really miss the area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
Myth.

The end matters not. It's a circuit.

If it's a laptop, you can do it while it's running. If it's a desktop, shut down first. After that, pull it out of the machine or the wall first - it has no impact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I've been doing it for years and never had any problems. I say Myth. Maybe someone should send it to Mythbusters?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
Although it's very unlikely the possibility exists that a surge from the wall outlet could potentially travel back through the power cord and hit the Mother Board (MB). Simply turning off the computer first does NOT eliminate the possible risk because the electrical connection is still present. When you turn off the computer via the power button a good deal of the electrical components are still energized until they are completely disconnected. All electronic components are shielded to protect against this type of thing but one can never be too careful especially since your computer is so costly and probably has a good deal of your life stored on it. Therefore it is a good idea to power down the computer first, disconnect the power from the computer and then unplug from the wall. Also when connecting it's a good idea to plug into the wall outlet first then connect to the computer and power up. By doing it like this any potential surge can dissipate first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.