How do I connect to my Mac from my PC?

Reaction score
If I need a file from my mac, to a pc, how would I connect to the folder over my network? I found some instructions, but they were old and the options listed weren't there.

Reaction score
You should google: Folder Share.

It's a Windows Live program but is useful for transferring files between computers over an internet connection so you don't even need to be in your home network catchment to use it.

Pretty self explanatory once you download it.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
That worked, except for a file that's 8Gb. Folder Share's limit is 2Gb.

Reaction score
You can also use a program call Network Magic. It allows file/folder sharing between all computers on a network. They have the windows version then you can purchase the Mac version. I am running that now. I typically only go from PC to Mac. Since I got my iMac that is all I use when I'm home. At work I'm forced to use a Windoze machine and it solidifies my decision to switch from PC to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Or you could just add you mac and your PC to the same workgroup.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
So if I put my mac in the same workgroup I should see it on my network? I set the folders to be sharable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Correct, just go to system preferences and than sharing and make sure folder sharing is checked, and than go back and go to network and than click advanced and go to the WINS tab and from their add you mac to you PCs workgroup. If you don't know how to view workgroup comps on a PC than I will be here to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, OS X 10.4.11 1.42 GHZ PowerPC G4, 1GB DDR SDRAM
Can you tell me how to do this on an iBook G4? Thanks.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
Every time I type the workgroup name on the MAC and click ok it erases it. Is there something else I have to do first?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.