A shot from the street

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Last Saturday I was supposed to meet up with a friend of mine that works at a small bar in Shepherdstown, WV (college town) at noon. She's a big photo noob but wants to learn so I was going to spend the day showing her a few things as the bar she works at really only sees three or four people until later in the evening. Of course, I was early. I got a coffee and started walking around as there's usually a ton of people out, but not today. I was shooting an empty beer bottle that some one left on the stoop of a museum/hotel in town and looked up to see the below shot just walking away from me. It took me about thirty seconds to get everything right and shoot, a whole life time when you're watching a good shot just walk away from you.

They're a little far away for what I like, but I was afraid that if I cropped it then I would lose the street and the perspective. This was shot with my newish 70-200 2.8 is @ f/2.8. I love the look this thing gives to shallow DOFs.

Click for flckr page:

I added a lomo action that some one on POTN created as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
I like it - nice composition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
yeah, ive got all sorts of ideas to make an ad for something with this image.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
VERY good job VI!! Excellent picture. I agree, you have a very good eye for taking pics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
that is a great picture!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
VI: is this a hobby or your profession?

I like the picture a lot actually.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
VI: is this a hobby or your profession?

I like the picture a lot actually.

Working on becoming the latter. I've sold a couple pictures, but I'm really working on a portfolio to show clients and I'd like to get into a professional studio to at least do some assissting.

I do have a wedding coming up in May. That's a free trip to the beach.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Nice picture. Full of character.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
excellent shot...that lens does an excellent job with low DOF's what type of camera are you using?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
30D for now. I'd like to purchase a 5D in the future though.

I almost got the 30D...but I decided to go with nikon instead and got the D80...what brand lens were you using?.....

Reaction score
That's a good start! Personally I think it's a little too busy and if the subject is the child and man, then they are somewhat lost. If you are familiar with PS, select the subject, inverse and blurr everything just a tad, or you can make all else black and white. IMO

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
That's a good start! Personally I think it's a little too busy and if the subject is the child and man, then they are somewhat lost. If you are familiar with PS, select the subject, inverse and blurr everything just a tad, or you can make all else black and white. IMO

Selective coloring is over played. Plus blurring with PS loses the buttery smooth Bokeh that the 70-200 2.8 creates. If anything, I could crop it and the subjects would be bigger. I just didn't like the look of losing the street crossing, like it's leading up to the subject, but it's still out of the DOF of the man and the kid so that it's not too distracting. I wish I could have snapped them about 10-15 steps earlier. It would have been a bit better, but I wasn't about to ask them to move back and try it again.

nice is that the Lglass or not?

Yes. That what the L stands for.

2216680456_0a0a2667c6_o.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
OK, I now have a serious case of lens envy :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.