• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How much space does Final Cut take up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 3 with Intel Core 2 Duo, 120 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB RAM
Do you know how many GBs Final Cut Studio 2 or Final Cut Express take up? Just wondering, might save up for Express...maybe look for Studio for cheap...and by the way, I have a MacBook with about 86 GB left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The Macbook will NOT install Final Cut Studio 2. I'm not sure about the new one with the x3100 card, but the GMA950 macbook cannot run Final Cut Studio 2. It can run FCS 1.

The installation of just the apps takes around 5GB of space. It's just the media files that add up to a lot (around 60GB or more)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I have Final Cut Pro 5.0, and it takes up about 330MB.

But, obviously any type of files produced by these kinds of software completely dwarf the amount of space that the application itself takes up.

-Nick

OP
NickF182
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 3 with Intel Core 2 Duo, 120 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB RAM
The Macbook will NOT install Final Cut Studio 2. I'm not sure about the new one with the x3100 card, but the GMA950 macbook cannot run Final Cut Studio 2. It can run FCS 1.

The installation of just the apps takes around 5GB of space. It's just the media files that add up to a lot (around 60GB or more)

darn I wanted to use that :( and the media files take up 60GBs?! I could only have like one movie if it would run on MacBook...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What media files? I have Final Cut Studio 2 installed and I don't see 60GB of data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Final Cut studio includes all the Soundtrack pro media files, the Motion 3 media files, and a lot more. It comes in a total of 7-8 DL DVDs. If you only want the apps, (FCP + Motion + Soundtrack Pro + DVD Studio + those others) then it will take around...maybe 4GB or so.

Anyway, if it's a GMA950 graphics (pre-Nov 2007) macbook, then it FCP won't even run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
What media files? I have Final Cut Studio 2 installed and I don't see 60GB of data.

The complete version of Final Cut Studio is 52.2 GB .I own it.the rest of the portions make up your media files meaning:
Motion Content
Media type media
Audio Content(3 of these)
dvd Content
Live type Content(3 of these)

For the most part each section is between 3.45 GB and 7.8 GB

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looks like will need to look around to find the above 50 something gigs.

Reaction score
I've got FCE 3.5 on my iBook (G4) and loaded the apps on the internal HD and the media content on my outboard drive. Runs just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FCP 5 works fine on iBook/macbook. It's the newest one that's the problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Looks like will need to look around to find the above 50 something gigs.

Not sure.Maybe when you installed you did the customization to only install the detrimental items?Meaning the program itself?I actually have an external HDD just for the program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.