How to import Dvd instruction media into my iPod?

kas

Reaction score
I have some instructional DVDs on pshop, my camera & using various software that i would like to import for viewing on my ipod.
I believe most of these are in a quicktime format but will have to check on each one.

Is there an easy way to do this or do I need special software?

Reaction score
I'd recommend HandBrake. It comes with various presets including iPod so will rip straight from the DVD to the correct format (MP4).

It's also open-source and free.

OP
K

kas

Reaction score
I'd recommend HandBrake. It comes with various presets including iPod so will rip straight from the DVD to the correct format (MP4).

It's also open-source and free.

I downloaded the program because someon esle recommended it but almost everything is greyed out. I tried to find a source file? but it said invalid.
Either something is wrong or I don't know how to access this program correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I have some instructional DVDs on pshop, my camera & using various software that i would like to import for viewing on my ipod.
I believe most of these are in a quicktime format but will have to check on each one.

Is there an easy way to do this or do I need special software?

Other people have suggested software that will process a 'true' DVD - i.e. one that conforms to the DVD standard and will play in a standalone DVD player.

But, if the DVDs you have just contain multiple movie files(quicktime, avi, wmv files etc) try ffmpegx to convert them to one of the formats/sizes your particular ipod supports - ffmpegx has presets for this.

OP
K

kas

Reaction score
"What format is the source file - is it a DVD?"

All the programs come on a DVD but seem to be recorded in different formats.

"if the DVDs you have just contain multiple movie files(quicktime, avi, wmv files etc) try ffmpegx . "
what is ffrmpegx? a program? I am a newbie to all of this tech stuff. I know one of the dvd's is done in quicktime another one opens up in flash player.
Any detailed help would be appreciated as I am so not a techie! thanks
Kerrie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
"What format is the source file - is it a DVD?"

All the programs come on a DVD but seem to be recorded in different formats.

"if the DVDs you have just contain multiple movie files(quicktime, avi, wmv files etc) try ffmpegx . "
what is ffrmpegx? a program? I am a newbie to all of this tech stuff. I know one of the dvd's is done in quicktime another one opens up in flash player.
Any detailed help would be appreciated as I am so not a techie! thanks
Kerrie

go to:
http://ffmpegx.com/download.html
Download and install as per the instructions

Once installed run ffmpegx
See attached picture.
view1.jpg

1. Drag the file you want to convert into the FROM box.
2. Click the TO box and select iPod h.264 320w (you can pick any of these output settings you want but 320w is a good place to start)
3. Click encode

Another window will pop-up and tell you the progress of converting the file.
You can repeat steps 1-3 with all your files and they will queue up and be convert one by one.

Once you have all your converted files (mp4 files) you can drag them into itunes to copy them to your ipod.

Post back or PM me if you have any problems

OP
K

kas

Reaction score
thanks for this info I will try it and let you know if I'm sucessful.

OP
K

kas

Reaction score
Partly sucessful. I had trouble downloading the additional files. I was able to download the mencoder and the mplayer but when I tried to install it the computer I received an error message.

Then I got to the menu you showed and was able to get some of the file into an mp4 file but there was no vocal and it ran in a fast forward speed.

the 2nd picture is the message I get after trying to install the other files.

this is more difficult then I thought.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.