10.4 on new 8-Core Mac Pro?

Reaction score
I just got a new Mac Pro 8-Core (Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400) loaded with 10.5 Leopard. However, Digidesign Pro Tools LE software only works on 10.4 Tiger, and probably wont work with 10.5 for quite some time (according to Digidesign themselves even). Since i've invested in Pro Tools hardware, i have to stick with the software.

What can i do to get the machine running in 10.4? I have a macbook pro running 10.4...can i clone that drive and install it in the mac pro and boot off it? Do i need to use OSx86 to get full driver support? ANY SOLUTION WILL DO!!! I'm dying to crack this thing out with my Pro Tools!!! Thanks everybody!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Wouldn't it be simpler to upgrade to the Leopard version of the Pro Tools?

I apologize if there isn't such a version - I am not familiar with this particular software package. It just seems to me that if you can afford a new Mac Pro, the extra amount to upgrade a few pieces of software wouldn't seem like a lot in comparison.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry i should have mentioned that Pro Tools LE software is not compatible with 10.5, and won't be for a while. Its industry standard, hardware dependent, professional music production software. (I've edited my original post to make this more clear) A lot invested in the hardware and plugins, so have to stick with it. Thanks-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro 2X2.8 quads 2600XT 6G 1.3TB, macbook 2.0core2duo 2G 320G, mac mini 2.0core2duo, G3iMac
tiger installation on a mac pro two quad cores

Hi, don't dissapoint. There is a solution if you have an intel machine work with 10.4.

I bought a same refurbished one from the japanese apple store one month ago withought considering about drivers of my old periferences and softwares only because of 20% off of the price at new, actuyally I was finding a older intel mac pro. I was so shocked when I know I can't use my audio CDR drive, A3 printer, scanner and some softwares.

So I called the support centre to ask about an installation of 10.4 on this eight cores, at first they insist they made CPUs match to 10.5 at least. Then I told them I made sure to use 10.4 on this machine form the sales of the apple store on the phone and they told me how to do that. There is a condition to have or borrow an old intel machine can work with 10.4.

You start an old intel machine and connect to your new quad cores thru firewire with a target disk mode, then you can install 10.4 from a installation disk or even can copy with the carbon copy cloner. That's it.

Maybe you have some problems, I tell you my case. I use a Victor 37inches full HD television and if I set full HD definition (1920 X 1080) it is hard to read tiny letters, but there is no choice of setting of the display in the system preferences, so I insert an original hard disk installed of 10.5 and restart from 10.5 and change the display setting into 1366 X 768 mode, then I have been able to use a monitor under the same setting from 10.4.

And I still have a problem about fans which always work with maximmum speed, this is so noisy and this have made me mad, because I live in a very quiet circumstance and use this quad cores in my audio room. I am typing this with a mac mini I had used before a quad cores came. The solution the support centre told me never work to reset PRU or something. This is too fatal to use a quadcores in my audio room, so I begin to think about modifying the cooling system with using a vaporizing cooling unit of fridges. I don't want liquid cooling becuase there is a history cooling liquid leakage damaged main CPU of my ex mac mini after six month use, so my current mac mini is second. But I should try a reset the SMC (system manage bla bla) I found from the support pages of the apple.

And one more thing, It is better to use some movie softwares like final cut pro, iMovie et cetra on 10.5 definitely because you see the 10.4 doesn't support the quartz extreme in the system profiler. About this there can be a solution but I couldn't find in the pages of the apple or the intel.

I hope you won't have any problem like me. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.