Publishing from iWeb to Allwebco

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Macbook Pro; 20" 2.0 GHz iMac.
Hi,

Would someone be kind enough to take me through the steps to publish a mac site from iWeb on to an Allwebco hosted domain? To start with they won't answer emails and I don't know how to change the cname (or where it is) - I've serached all FAQ and site management pages on Allwebco to no avail.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" matte screen MBP 2.6GHz - 7200RPM 200G
Can't speak about Allwebco, but to publish my iWeb made site to something other than .Mac, you have to publish to a Folder and then upload the Folder's contents to your webhost via FTP.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply but I need something a bit more specific such as exactly how do I load up using say cyberduck and how do I cange the cname (if I need to that is).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know what CyberDuck is - I use Fetch as an FTP client. You have to make sure you're doing your "PUT" to the correct folder on your website. In my case it's the WWW folder.

Reaction score
Your hosting provider can provide you with the FTP details you need, just enter these into Cyberduck where appropriate. You then just need to drag-and-drop your website to the right folder, again your hosting provider can tell you exactly where it needs to go.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK thanks, I've changed to Fetch.

I've been provided with the following...

Username: myname
Password: mypassword
FTP Server: voldo.dreamhost.com

Is it this ftp server that I should enter in Fetch as the hostname? Do I prefix it with ftp. ? - I followed a tutorial that said I should use my url ie ftp.clivetemplephotography.com

Having done that I get the following result at my url which is www.clivetemplephotography.com as you can see the index html is there but embedded in another file.

If someone could point out what i'm doing wrong here I'd much appreciate it... should I start another folder in Fetch and begin again? It appears I should transfer the contents of my iweb folder to fetch and not the folder itself?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK thanks, I've changed to Fetch.

I've been provided with the following...

Username: myname
Password: mypassword
FTP Server: voldo.dreamhost.com

Is it this ftp server that I should enter in Fetch as the hostname? Do I prefix it with ftp. ? - I followed a tutorial that said I should use my url ie ftp.clivetemplephotography.com

Having done that I get the following result at my url which is www.clivetemplephotography.com as you can see the index html is there but embedded in another file.

If someone could point out what i'm doing wrong here I'd much appreciate it... should I start another folder in Fetch and begin again? It appears I should transfer the contents of my iweb folder to fetch and not the folder itself?

Thank you.

I'm doing this from memory and without a lot of sleep as I was up much of the night so please forgive if I'm not being precise enough...

The way I do it is to just prefix the domain name with FTP - like you have - ftp.clivetemplephotography.com, then insert your username and password and click on Connect.

Then look for a folder like WWW within Fetch (it's on your domain server).
Click on the WWW folder as you want to be in that one.
Then click on PUT.
This will open up a Finder type window where you'll then click on Users, your name, and Sites.
Highlight everything in the Sites folder (you're selecting them all)

Click on PUT and go get a cup of coffee..

It will by default (I'm pretty sure) replace any like named folder / file.

The bad thing about using iWeb and a domain other than .Mac is that you have to upload the entire site everytime you want to publish it to the web. I know of no way to just pick and choose a given folder out of iWeb / Sites to upload without "breaking" the website.

It's for this and other reasons I have just purchased Dreamweaver CS3..

Best wishes to you in your quest and I hope I've been of at least some help..

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice one, thanks for your help, I'll give it a go when I get home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.