EyeTV: My Initial Experience

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
After doing a little research on what would be the best approach to getting an embedded TV signal on my iMac screen, I decided to go with ElGato's EyeTV 250+. I ordered it and received it a few days ago.

First, the device is nice and small, and with it's white shell, it compliments my iMac. The interface device is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and there are I/O ports front and rear.

In the rear you have a standard 75 Ohm male cable (Signal IN), a jack for the power supply, and a USB cable port. In the front, you have a power on LED next to a SVHS-type breakout connector Signal-OUT), which with the supplied multi-cable, you can output to a remote TV, VCR, or other devices.

Loading the software is straightforward, and a menu will come up that allows you to select your source. Once installed, an on-screen remote will be shown on your screen (very handy). The unit does come with it's own dedicated physical remote, but I actually find I use the on-screen device more often than not. From the on-screen remote you can select a guide that is downloaded as part of the software setup. You can also do a channel listing and enable or disable any channels from the mix.

I picked this particular unit because I wanted a "tuner" that would not be obsolete next year when analog signals are terminated. This device is QAM capable, which means it can receive and display both digital and HD digital signals delivered OTA (over the air with an antenna), as well as those delivered by cable. I subscribe to Comcast's digital cable, so I am able to receive analog 2-95, and digital channels in the 200-1000 range.

I have a HD DLP TV upstairs and the picture is stunning. I was pleasantly surprised with the EyeTV's HD (and digital) picture on my iMac. It's pretty darn good. It suffers a little in full-screen mode, but I don't think its any worse than a 20-ish inch LCD you'd buy for your house. While I haven't tried to record any shows, it looks simple enough... there's the proverbial RED button :) but I suggest you have plenty of HDD space, and maybe an external HDD at that.

This is a pretty positive review, but I do have a couple of gripes. First, tech support from ElGato is marginal. I emailed them 6 days ago, received a robot reply noting I'd be contacted very shortly... nada. Next, and this may be easily resolved (I hope), is I keep losing sync and voice since I installed my Logitech 530S keyboard and mouse (which I love). Tonight I'll try dumping the EyeTV into the trash and re-installing.

In summary, I'd give this unit 4+ stars on the appearance, ease of install, and performance side. I'd give ElGato 1 star for their lack of tech support follow up.

Reaction score
Please send your support ticket again

I've checked our support queue, and I see no tickets waiting for 6 days or more for a response - the current wait time is no more than 4 days, usually far less. I also can't find any mention of your Logitech keyboard in the queue. I don't have your name or email, so I can't search by those terms.

It's quite possible that our search isn't perfect. It's also possible that your message was responded to, but that you did not receive it - perhaps due to a spam filter. Please send your ticket again, so that we may resolve your problem. Put "For Nick" in the subject of the ticket, so I can pick it out quickly and address your issue. Also include your first ticket number, so I can research the issue.

Nick Freeman
Customer Support

Elgato Systems LLC

900 Kearny Street Suite 750 San Francisco CA 94133-5145
http://www.elgato.com - http://faq.elgato.com - http://forums.elgato.com

For news, special offers and user tips, subscribe to our newsletter:
www.elgato.com/subscribeNews

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
WOW! Nick... I'm impressed! Nice to see a vendor monitors these posts. As you can gather, I love this little gadget, but I did/do have a couple of minor issues (editing/tuning channels and no-sync/loss of audio). I'm at work right now, but I will definitely follow up with you when I get home tonight because all the info (including ticket number) is on my mac. I should note that the original question sent to ElGato was about the channels, and I just installed the keyboard last night and lost sync/sound. But iTunes and all other audio functions are working 100%... just no sound on EyeTV.

Later...

Updated: I did actually get a support response (from Nick) and he did answer most of my questions on channel access. Anyone with an EyeTV 250+ will only have limited access to digital content via cable, and it will have to be unencrypted. Now, the interesting thing is when they go over to full digital broadcasts next winter, common sense would suggest that digital will no longer be the "optional" or "premium" signal... it'll be the ONLY signal whether it's via OTA, satellite, or cable. HD would have to be the ONLY premium signal IMHO, so perhaps ordinary channels like Comcasts 2-95 (analog) which are not encrypted... will be in the basic digital range and therefore be unencrypted. The providers are walking a thin line here, because millions of Americans could wind up complaining to their elected officials and the FCC could get involved to make it "easier" for the average Joe to access digital signals _without_ a STB. TVs are being sold today with basic digital tuning capabilities so they can receive both HD and non-HD content. While the government is going to allow a "coupon" for a STB, one has to wonder where that is going because the "rental" of a STB at roughly $10-$15/month has to be a huge revenue stream for the providers. Add to this that a new 2-way cablecard was introduced at the Winter CES and things get more interesting as cable companies usually don't charge for a cablecard install. Sorry for the rambling, but it's something we should all be aware of.

One last note: I did remove all the cables including power on the EyeTV, shut down my mac, restarted it without the EyeTV, and then plugged everything back in and everything seems back to normal... I have voice and signal. Go Figure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.