Problem with Norton

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
I have a friend who had Norton Anti Virus installed on an imac, the mac now wont go on the web and I think it is something to do with the firewall.
I cant change the Apple firewall settings as it says there is another firewall in use, Norton wont re-install to allow the settings to be changed and the remaining files scattered around the hard drive wont delete because it says they are in use.

Any ideas on how to delete a file which is still in use or how to force it to not be in use?

Ive tried appzapper but it looks like you need the application there to do it, all that is left is a few files.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have read nothing good about the current Norton software and OS X. You maybe in the worst case scenario here (archive and install). Hopefully some one will come and have a better answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You could try doing a Spotlight search for Norton and Symantec and getting rid of the files manually.

I think there might be a Norton uninstaller available at the Symantec website. You might want to look into that.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
I've gone down the spotlight route and it wont delete the files because it says they are in use.
I cant change the settings because it wont let us reinstall the program
I have prepped them into back up mode as I think it may be the only way out, just wanted to see if I had missed anything obvious

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.