Which Microsoft Office do you prefer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24", 2.8 GHz Extreme, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD | iPod Nano 3G, 4GB
So, I just got a new iMac this past weekend and I'm looking into purchasing Microsoft Office. However, I've read many reviews that the new 2008 version is missing many features of previous versions. My question is, which one do you all prefer?

Reaction score
So, I just got a new iMac this past weekend and I'm looking into purchasing Microsoft Office. However, I've read many reviews that the new 2008 version is missing many features of previous versions. My question is, which one do you all prefer?
Buy the new version. It has all of the features that you will need.

Reaction score
I upgraded to 2008 and couldn't be happier. It's vastly improved over 2004 in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
It runs smoother and is upto date with the new xml based doc standards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Buy the new version. It has all of the features that you will need.

As long as you don't need VBA, legacy format export, custom error bars...

Better to buy the old version and get the free upgrade while you can. Then you can keep both around.

Reaction score
As long as you don't need VBA, legacy format export, custom error bars...

Better to buy the old version and get the free upgrade while you can. Then you can keep both around.
For the common user, the new one will work just fine. Why would you run VBA on a non-Microsoft machine anyway? You would be MUCH better off running that on a Microsoft machine.

Most people will have no need for legacy format export; and as for custom error bars......are you serious?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Perhaps a different question should be asked --- do you really need MS Office at all? NeoOffice is MS Office compatible and it is free open source software. NeoOffice is the Mac port of OpenOffice.org, a very mature, very stable office suite. Have you considered this option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
For the common user, the new one will work just fine. Why would you run VBA on a non-Microsoft machine anyway? You would be MUCH better off running that on a Microsoft machine.

Most people will have no need for legacy format export; and as for custom error bars......are you serious?
Well, for the "common user" who does not need VBA compatibility, special export formats, or advanced features... iWork will work just fine. :)

Reaction score
Well, for the "common user" who does not need VBA compatibility, special export formats, or advanced features... iWork will work just fine. :)
Meh, never used iWork. I just know that I have not had a single problem with any of the [missing] features in the new Office.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps a different question should be asked --- do you really need MS Office at all? NeoOffice is MS Office compatible and it is free open source software. NeoOffice is the Mac port of OpenOffice.org, a very mature, very stable office suite. Have you considered this option?

This looks tempting. I will give it a shot before I invest in something else. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
If you use Missing Sync to sync a Windows Mobile phone be aware that it will not sync to Entourage 2008. There may be a work around at some point but nothing yet. If you are in an academic setting, Endnote and Refwork Write-n-Cite also do not work with the new versions of Office.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Meh, never used iWork. I just know that I have not had a single problem with any of the [missing] features in the new Office.

And certainly that means that no one else could possibly go missing any features since you don't?

I agree with Mac57. Give NeoOffice a shot, it's completely free and worst case scenario, is that you don't like it and uninstall it. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Which version of Word do I prefer?

QuarkXPress

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" Alu | 2.0Ghz C2D | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Snow Leopard
I use Ofiice 2004 and I'm very happy with it it suits my needs just fine. I have tried NeoOffice which is good but I prefer to have the proper Microsoft products to be honest...

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, there should be no compatibility issues if I install MSO 2004 on the new Leopard? Will I be able to install the program on my Mac even if it was already installed previously on another? Isn't there something like 3 Mac limit?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, there should be no compatibility issues if I install MSO 2004 on the new Leopard? Will I be able to install the program on my Mac even if it was already installed previously on another? Isn't there something like 3 Mac limit?

Office 2004 runs on Leopard, but you need to immediately get the updates installed or you will have issues. As far as I know, you may only install it on one computer at a time from a EULA perspective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I have both Office 04 and 08, which do I prefer? iWork 08.

mab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, OS 10.4.11
+1 for Neo Office. As a lifelong PC user, I was reluctant at first to switch to Mac because I spend so much time using MS Office products at work. Neo Office works great, and I've had no problems moving docs or spreadsheets back and forth. I'd at least try it to see if it works for you, before plunking down the cash for Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
I have Office '04, never used '08 and likely never will because I love iWork '08 and Neo Office is great too. If you need to be able to use the new Office formats though you should get Office '08

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.