Washed my iPod!

Reaction score
Following a recent trip to the gym I made the error of putting my 1GB iPod nano in the washing machine with my sports kit! Needless to say, it didn't fare well! I thought it was a total gonner, but when I popped it on its docking station the Apple symbol briefly flickered on the screen. It seems to be trying to start up, but can't quite manage it. The Apple symbol flickers on, the background briefly illuminates, then goes off over and over again.

It's probably a lost cause, which is fair enough as it wasn't exactly designed for a long hot bath! However, if anyone knows of anything I could try to revive it, I'd love to give it a shot.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Let it set for a couple more days to totally dry out inside.

If none of the electronics were disconnected during all that tumbling around, you may have luck.

Some batteries though are set to never function again once wet. Had this happen to my mobil a couple of weeks ago after dropping it in water. Don't have a clue if the battery is replaceable or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yup, give a week or so to ensure that it is as dry as possible. It is a Nano, so there are no moving parts that may have been damaged. Your only concern is detergent deposits on the circuitry inside.

If, after a week or so there is still no joy, you have nothing to lose - I would try re-immersing it in completely clean fresh water and leaving it there for a few hours. The objective is to dissolve any such deposits. Then do the "one week wait" again and see how that goes.

I am sure that this whole thing is very upsetting to you - it must have been tough once you realized what had happened. Hang in there!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.