So i've had my Mac for a month now and just have 1 problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - 2.2Ghz / 1gb / 120gb / Leopard
Hey guys,

Had my Macbook for about a month now and i love it to bits. I think i've really got to grips with OS X now too.

I've just got one question, but not to sure where to place it.

Basically i've noticed my internet slowing down significantly in the last couple of days and i've got no idea why?
I also noticed my AirPort wireless switched itself off at one point, there was no reason for it to have done that as it's signal has been excellent and the same since i first connected it about a month ago.

I have Little Snitch installed and none of my apps are talking to the net, i have nothing downloading and only my browser open and still the net is super slow.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
Is your wireless network protected in any way?

When i first moved in to my flat i forgot to secure the router and some chancer up stairs was stealing my wireless and downloading tonnes of stuff on it, as soon as i locked it up for just my use it was super fast again!

Also if its peak times in the evening it could be the ISP throttling your speed due to many many users all connected at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic
Many things could affect internet speed. SlickShoes brings up good points, check your security on the router. I notice a difference in speed between the morning and the evening hours.

Could be a modem or router problem. Check with your ISP for any issues on their end. The ISP can run tests from their end and have you ping gateways and servers for latency and timeouts. Since I am new to Mac, I do not know the commands. I am assuming pinging would be done in Terminal. Anyway, check with your ISP, they should be able to help you narrow your problem down.

OP
Zak.Blair
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - 2.2Ghz / 1gb / 120gb / Leopard
Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.

I have a password on my wireless network so i don't think that can be the problem. It may be at the ISP's end, so i shall give them a phone call.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Plug the computer directly into the network, bypassing the wireless. If it speeds up, it's your wireless setup. If not, it's probably your ISP.

Reaction score
I just got a mac too and I had the same problem with it. I undid and the redid my wifi set up to no avail. Then I downloaded Firefox. Problem solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.