tethering a Nokia 6300 as modem to IMAC. Has anyone tried this?

Reaction score
I've recently moved to a rural area -- Edge Wireless sold me a Nokia 6300 to use as a modem with my Imac... Has anyone reading ever succcessfully done this? It is stumping everyone we know. -- and definitely not working -- apparently it works easily with an IBM--the Mac part is stumping everyone. Nokia's site is even more convoluting.

Any beautiful ideas???

peace

Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've recently moved to a rural area -- Edge Wireless sold me a Nokia 6300 to use as a modem with my Imac... Has anyone reading ever succcessfully done this? It is stumping everyone we know. -- and definitely not working -- apparently it works easily with an IBM--the Mac part is stumping everyone. Nokia's site is even more convoluting.

Any beautiful ideas???

peace

Robert

According to Nokia the only modem drivers for the 6300 are for Windows, whether tethered or Bluetooth. Not to mention that the 6300 doesn't have 3g so using it as a modem will be painfully slow.

Why not consider one of the 3g usb modems that many mobile suppliers have on offer at the moment. I've had good experiences with the '3' version http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/detail.omp
but others do similar products.

This is all assuming you're in the UK of course, can't tell from your profile

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.