Blocking certain phone numbers

Reaction score
Can you block certain people/phone numbers on the iphone? I just got an iphone and now this certain person's number isn't blocked anymore.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Haven't seen a way to do it.
Not one shown in the "iPhone:The Missing Manual" either.

Give Apple or AT&T a call. Meantime, set their ringtone different from everyone else's. That way you won't even have to look at the phone to know who it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There are third party apps that let you block individual numbers for Windows Mobile. I haven't seen one in Installer.app for the iPhone, but perhaps we might see something with the release of the SDK.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks. I talked to AT&T and they can't even block single numbers. They can block all incoming calls though. A lot of use a cell phone would be if you couldn't receive any calls, lol.

Hopefully Apple adds something in a future release that lets you block certain people. Phone calls 24 hours a day can be pretty annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Powerbook G4, iPhone
Record 30 seconds of silence in Garage Band and make that your custom ringtone.... Might help for now.

Reaction score
No wireless carrier has the ability to block individual numbers from calling you or texting you. You can either block all calls or texts or none at all

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
I keep getting called by (877) 944-2706

(877) 944-2706 has called me 6 times in the last 24 hours, even though I am registered on the "Do Not Call" list. They ring my iPhone, then they hang up on me.

Do I get charged for this? Does this dig into my available minutes?

Is this a service from AT&T that is not connecting to me for some reason? I tried searching this number in Google, and elsewhere, and have found no info as to who this caller is.

Does anyone else have this problem too?

What are my options?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you Jailbreak your phone, there are Apps that will do it. Not worth it IMHO though.

Reaction score
MM this sounds like a problem, what happend if a friend just kept calling you repeatedly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Reaction score
Thanks. I talked to AT&T and they can't even block single numbers. They can block all incoming calls though. A lot of use a cell phone would be if you couldn't receive any calls, lol.

Hopefully Apple adds something in a future release that lets you block certain people. Phone calls 24 hours a day can be pretty annoying.

Problem is Apple being teamed up with AT&T. It's been awhile since this post but is there an app to block numbers now? Let's face it, blocking all incoming isn't going to work for anyone.

RS

Reaction score
Reference Savagehenry's solution: Make a contact named "unknown" as new contact. Plug in all the numbers that have been annoying you. Set the ringtone to your "silent clip" ringtone made in GarageBand. Voila! Lengthy workaround, but it works - and it's free! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
My Android phone (G1) allows me to add certain numbers to a blacklist. Text messages get blacklisted and voice calls get sent straight to voicemail. I was very impressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
If anyone is JailBroken there is an app called iBlackList, works perfect, you can even block certain numbers from texting you.

Reaction score
iPhone-Blocking unwanted phone numbers

Okay. I have the app! Go to iTunes Store...get to Applications..in Search box type in Blacklist. Download the app ($1.99..and well worth it!). Sync to your iPhone. You can now type in the numbers you want blocked and sync with all the unwanted tele-marketing numbers that are now able to call you on your cell phone.

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but you can actually block any number with Google Voice! Just type in any amount of numbers you want to block and they'll receive a "This number has been disconnected" dialogue.

Dig it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.