Cannot open apps/software

Reaction score
I cannot open downloaded files (DMG's) or load software from a CD-Rom. For example, my father gave me his Epson printer, when I loaded the CD-rom, it said "you cannot open the application "XXXXX" because it may be damaged or incomplete". I tried to download the printer drives from the Epson site, and got the same message. I have tried to download other types of files (like some from MacWorld) and always get the "you cannot open the application "XXXXX" because it may be damaged or incomplete" message when I click to open the file. I have scoured the internet for help. I have used Disk First Aid, Prosoft's Drive Genius, and Disk Warrior with no improvement. I have an 80GB G4, with about 22GB's left.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Welcome!

Create a new user account, log in and see if the problem persits.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks. But...

not sure what to do next. I only had one login, so all of my programs, music, etc, is under the original login. I downloaded what I needed under my newly created login per your suggestion, so that worked great, but it is stuck under that login. How do I get what I downloaded to be available under my original login. Somehow share it?

Also, if I don't have this problem under the new login, what makes that different from my original? (I'd like to fix the problem with the original, not just be forced to only use my new login to download)

I do appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, if I don't have this problem under the new login, what makes that different from my original?
Usually, a corrupt preference file, in your home folder. Creating a new user, creates a new home folder and new preference files. This article help explains it.
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060606082246983

I downloaded what I needed under my newly created login per your suggestion, so that worked great, but it is stuck under that login. How do I get what I downloaded to be available under my original login.
If we can find the corrupt file, it will solve the problem. The trick now is finding the corrupt file, in your home folder.
Some things to try...
http://www.macworld.com/article/42286/2005/01/preventmacdisasters.html

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks!

Wow! You know your stuff - it worked! Last question (probably) I downloaded some things onto my new login, I'll probably delete that login, since I don't really need it anymore - can I share or access the items from my old login?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow! You know your stuff - it worked! Last question (probably) I downloaded some things onto my new login, I'll probably delete that login, since I don't really need it anymore - can I share or access the items from my old login?
Not a problem. There is a share folder already there you can use. I would just drag the .dmg files to it, (if you still have them) or other files you want. Depending on the program, it may not be self contained. (you may miss some files just moving the app) When you log back in, just go back to the shared folder. You can move them from there.
The shared folder is in the Users folder. Finder/yourHD/Users/
You should see both Home folders and the shared. The Account you're logged in to will have the "house" icon.

May seem like a lot to do, but it's good to know! ;D Or you can just log back in and re-download them, if everything is working now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.