I Have Mac Driver For Belkin Usb Wireless N Dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I HAD RECENTLY WRITTEN TO Ralink about providing drivers for my Belkin 8053 wireless N usb dongle. They use the Ralink 2770 chipset. They where very helpful and provided me with a working driver. I am using the driver and my Belkin USB wireless N dongle to post this. I wish to upload the drivers so that others will have this option. It gives me the new faster N speed on my iBook G4.
I am using the Leopard drivers but also included are Tiger drivers. So where should I go to make these drivers accessable to other MAC users. For what ever reason I don't see them on Ralink's website yet.
Thanks Daniel

OP
T
Reaction score
Wow, I'm amazed that there isn't more interest in this. It can be used as a wireless solution on any MAC computer that doesn't have it. It works great on my iBook G4 and would probably work good on a G3 with Tiger or any other kind of MAC computer that doesn't have wireless or has slow or crappy wireless. It has two antenna's so the reception is great. If anyone has one of these F5D 8053 WIRELESS N USB dongles and wants to try out these drivers just let me know your email address and I'll send them to you. It's a great alternative to the airport card and you can use the same dongle with your PC so it's universal.

Reaction score
would love to get the driver

i just purchased the same usb dongle. if i understand correctly, the F5D8053 uses the Ralink chipset - correct? and they provided you with a driver?

i would love to get it from you.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'll send it your way!

Please do me a favor and pass the driver on to others.
Thanks,
Daniel

Reaction score
i seem to have the same problem

hi, i have purchased the same dongle also and am having all of the same problems. I have been googling all day and i've tried a few things but am yet to get it working. I'm currently running on osX 10.3 do you think the drivers would work for me too? if so it would be great if you could email them to me, in the mean time i'l keep searching,

Thanks,
Russ

OP
T
Reaction score
This will help me... help you.

Hello Everyone,
Before I send the driver to you please do this for me....

With your dongle plugged in to your MAC,
Click on Apple icon in the upper left corner >About This
MAC>More Info... >USB> then on the right side highlight F5D8053 N Wireless USB Adapter >below, at the bottom is Product ID: AND Vendor ID
Please copy down the numbers and letters and send them in an email to [email protected] This will tell me that we are on the right track. Once I confirm the VID and PID. I will send the drivers your way.
Thanks Daniel
P.S. Please note that there is an underscore _ after totallybonkers.

OP
T
Reaction score
Success!

People have been having success with these drivers and the Belkin F5D 8053 Dongle. Russell wrote....

Hi Daniel

Thanks for all your help as far as i can tell it seems to now be up and running after following your instructions. it connects fine on the application and it says the signal is strong. At first i thought it still wasn't working as it took quite a while to respond when trying to open a web page the first time around but now seems to be working fine. It's such a relief to finally get it working!

Thanks again for all your help your a star!

Russell

Reaction score
Great fix

The driver works great! Thanks to Totallybonkers for the good directions. Up and running very quickly.
Thanks T.

OP
T
Reaction score
Drivers...

Hello,

I just thought I should let you know that I have available Panther, Tiger and Leopard drivers. Also I'd really appreciate it if along with the PID and VID (instructions on where to find these above) could you also tell me a bit about your model of MAC and the operating system you are running. So far there has been success with all three operating systems.
So once again please send PID and VID model of MAC and operating system to [email protected] and I will send the drivers to you. Please note that there is an underscore after totallybonkers so totallybonkers_ the line makes this unclear.
To the many people who are emailing me to say thank you, your welcome. It took a lot of effort for me to come up with this solution and I just want to save people from all the frustration and dead ends that I ran into. This dongle is a great solution. It offers the latest speed 802.11N. Has two aerials so reception is really good. And if you follow my instructions it's not too difficult to set up and it is a very dependable way to surf the net. I am not telling anyone to go out and get this dongle but if you happen to have one I will try to help you get it up and running on your system.
So send me your info and we'll go from there.
Daniel

OP
T
Reaction score
IN REGARDS TO G3 COMPATIBILITY.....

I may have spoken too soon and for this I apologize.
I am not certain of compatibility with G3 computers. I believe this dongle needs USB 2.0 to run correctly. However so far there seems to be good compatibility with all G4's ibooks, iMac's etc that have tried it so far I believe that whatever MAC you have, it has to have a USB 2.0 port in order to use this dongle. Again I apologize to those of you with older G3's with only USB 1.0 ports. To the rest of you...let's go surfing!
One exception may be and this is a might be...if you have installed a USB 2.0 PCI card in your G3 desktop (and it's working as a USB 2.0 and not a 1.0) this just might be a work around.
Daniel

Reaction score
Thanks again

Thanks again for all the help setting up, the Belkin adapter is a great universally compatible alternative to the airport stuff once you get it working. Have you tried sending the drivers to Belkin for availability on there site?i'm sure you have tried that already but it does seem like they should be providing the kind of support you are.

Reaction score
Thanks again to Daniel!

Working like a charm on my Mac Mini (intel) running 10.5, now happily and speedily talking to my shiny new Time Capsule via the Belkin F5D 8053...

Cheers,

Gordon

OP
T
Reaction score
Belkin dropped the ball.....

In response to Ruskle's earlier post...Although Belkin was very polite when I talked to them a few months ago, it was clear that they had no big plans on writing the drivers I needed. It didn't seem like a big priority to them. If it was, I would think a big company like Belkin would have written MAC drivers at the same time as the Windows drivers they do supply. But they didn't. I think it's sad that I'm left to do their job for them. But in the end this is a great way to get wireless N on your MAC. I tried every driver on the Ralink site, emailed them numerous times. Finally they responded. After a few more emails, Ralink provided the driver to me. So far it is not available on there website. They sent the driver with no directions what so ever. I have figured out all the ins and outs for you. In an effort to make your installation go as smoothly as possible when I send you the drivers I also include step by step instructions on how to get things up and running. ( I wish I had this when I did my installation). So far anyone running Panther, Tiger or Leopard with an available USB 2.0 port has been able to use these drivers and this dongle. So lets go surfing people.
Daniel

Reaction score
Can someone send me the driver?

Can someone send me the driver?
i will host it for other to DL.

please email it to
msawkar(at)gmail.com

thanks
manu

OP
T
Reaction score
A Possible Host?

Hello Manu,
I would love for you to host the download. That would be fantastic. Could we talk out a few small details first? Firstly I am doing this to help people. I ask for no money or favors. I send people drivers for Panther, Tiger, and Leopard a Wireless USB Utility and step by step instructions, nothing else. There is no adware malware etc. I need to know that you will not modify what I send you in any way nor will you charge or ask for anything in return for people downloading the drivers. I feel good just helping people out and getting these drivers out there so this can be an option for everyone. I hope that you feel the same. Is that agreeable? Having said this, I would really like you to try these drivers out. I think your going to be pleased. Downloads are very fast and range is good. It's a great way to get the new standard 802.11 N on your old MAC as long as it has USB 2.0 you are good to go. They sell the Belkin F5D8053 everywhere so if people look around they can get a great deal on one. Anyhow please get back to me to and let me know how you feel about everything I've said. In the mean time I have sent you the drivers for you to try out. Let me know how they work out for you. And thank you so much for offering to host the drivers. That's very nice of you.
Daniel

Reaction score
Upgraded to Wireless N on MY MAC!!!!

Hello Totallybonkers,
I just wanted to thank you so much for the drivers and instructions. I was downloading in less than five minutes. The Belkin USB wireless N thingy downloads sooo fast. And I got it really cheap. Great job with the step by step by the way. Really easy to follow. Thanks again. You're my hero. :*

OP
T
Reaction score
You're Welcome.

You're welcome governessbelle. Thanks for taking the time to post something. Only a trickle of people leave posts. Most just email me to say thanks. I like it when people post so that others can see their success.

Brad emailed...

Hi Daniel, Thanks for the driver. Works great! Had some oddities are restart and getting it to recognize my router, but all is fine now. I can send you the details at a later time. Thanks again!
Brad
P.S. I also wrote Raylink and still haven't heard from them. Am glad I dropped you a line. Thanks for helping everyone out!

Your welcome also Brad. I'm happy to do it.
Who's next?

Reaction score
Belkin Wireless Dongle for Leopard

I recently installed the software for Leopard and my Belkin N Wireless Dongle works great! Thank you so much for the software!

Reaction score
wow thank you so much these drivers give my mac the push it needs, granted it needs to start that little program every time i boot up but thats not too much of an issue, but once its connected i can shut the program down and it will stay connected yay!!

thanks alot! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.