black screen & won't shut down

Reaction score
I just returned from vacation an hour ago to an unresponsive iBook. I thought I had shut it down and unplugged it, but apparently I just unplugged the wall socket and didn't removed the power cord from the computer, and I must have left it sleeping because the little white light near the close latch was lit before I opened the screen.

It looked to be asleep and so I tapped a few keys to awake it, and no response. I tried to do a restart (ctrl/apple/power) and nothing happened (no humming or any noise), and then I held the power key down for over 10 seconds to force a shut down, and still no response. I plugged the power cord back into the wall outlet, and the power cord turned green, indicating that the battery is charged.

Hmmm.... if it was asleep for 5 days, that should have used SOME battery, at least enough for an orange light.

Wasn't sure what to do. Googled the problem to no avail. Took out the battery, waited a couple minutes, then put it back in. Now the screen is lit, but it's black, so it's not asleep, but there's nothing on it. Still won't respond to anything - not force shut down, zap pram, force restart, NOTHING?

Any ideas of what could have happened or suggestions on what to try next? I'm just glad my new Macbook is working fine so I can ask for help, as I'm in the Caribbean for another month with no Apple store nearby.:(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.