PowerBook G4 17" screen alignment off - adjustable?

Reaction score
I just got a used 17" PowerBook G4 which is in great shape except for one nagging problem: When viewed from above with the lid closed, the entire screen assembly is rotated counter-clockwise from the lower case, causing the right side of the lid to sit about 1mm back. This causes the right display clasp to rub the edge of the palmrest when engaging or retracting, so it sticks, requiring two pushes of the latch button to get the lid to open.

I've already tried removing the keyboard assembly and loosening the top screws on the right hinge, but there's just not enough play to re-align the lid that way. The lid itself seems straight, leading me to believe that the problem is the alignment of the sub-frame below the logic board - the fan and heatsink assembly which the hinges appear to piggy-back onto.

By digging deep enough, is it possible to loosen and shift the fan/heatsink assembly enough to get the lid to align properly?

These pictures should illustrate the issue:

Right side shifted back 1mm:

rightside.jpg

Left side aligned:

leftside.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.