time machine doesn't seem to work anymore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Hiya,

sorry for typos, got a sick kiddo on my lap, so this is one handed with the wrong hand!

I originally set up time machine several weeks ago. it backed up everything nicely at that time. however i have a mb, when i hook up my external, how do i tell TM to start a back up? I've hooked it up several times in the past week, and assumed it was doing it's thing, but just got a warning that the last backup was 10 days ago... i don't see anywhere to adjust the setting or tell it to start.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone know where I can find some how to on TM? I can't even find it on the Apple site. I found list of what it does, but not how to use it. What am I missing here?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First open up Time Machine preferences, make sure it is turned on and put a check mark in the "Show Time Machine status in the menu bar".

Then from the menu bar icon, you will have the option to "Back Up Now".

(To open Time Machine preferences go to System Preferences.)

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First open up Time Machine preferences, make sure it is turned on and put a check mark in the "Show Time Machine status in the menu bar".

Then from the menu bar icon, you will have the option to "Back Up Now".

(To open Time Machine preferences go to System Preferences.)

Is it possible I have a different version? I don't have the "show TM status option" This is what I see:

attachment.php

Well, it is in the dock and now I see if I click and hold over it, I can see the back up now option. So I just did that.

But when would it do it's automatic back-up, if I never hit "back up now?"

Picture 4.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.