Unwanted Startup Processes

Reaction score
I have several unwanted processes that startup with my computer and just chew at memory and CPU usage. A few previous printers who's software I've removed but apparently still have like "button monitors" and stuff booting, and just other stuff like that. They arn't in my startup section in Accounts, so i'm assuming there in one of the startup scripts.. like in unix i'd look in /etc/rc or somesuch... So yeah, any ideas?

OP
K
Reaction score
Nevermind, resolved.

Edit:

Well actually its probably a hack and slash fix but I just found the files that were launching and did away with them as I had no need for the remnants of old software that I don't use. This is probably improper and could cause things to not work right I suppose so it isn't something I'd reccommend but I didn't know what else to do. If anyone wants to try what I tried first I did:

su
cd /etc
find . * | grep <Process Name> *

Repeat this for other directories that may contain startup files, like /Users/<Name> and what not.. I guess you could run it right from you're root directory but that may take time.
Only this surprisingly yielded nothing useful so yeah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
post how you resolved it so that others in future generations can search and find a resolution for themselves :D

Reaction score
Edit: Posted too late. Must be old age. I'll leave it though, since it's relevant, overall.

A few previous printers who's software I've removed but apparently still have like "button monitors" and stuff booting, and just other stuff like that.
Try running a search for the name of the long-gone printer (HP, Lexmark, f'rinstance), and the other stuff, and trash whatever it finds.

If Spotlight comes up empty, download the free EasyFind. It finds stuff Spotlight doesn't by searching in places Spotlight ignores.

You can read about it and download EasyFind here.

Make sure that for stuff such as Adobe's, for example, you don't trash Adobe files for an app you're still running. In this case, you'd search for the name of the app, not Adobe.

Chances are a few plist files, at least, from the dead apps are still kicking around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.