new case material?

Reaction score
My macbook was cracking (where the top lid meets the bottom above the power light). So anyways, i am getting it fixed under warranty.

The guy at the apple store said that they switched to a different material since the early 2007 models.

Does anyone know if this is true? Because after looking at the macbooks in the apple store (the late 2007 models) it seems like the material is still the same on the top case and bezel. Is there any validity to his statement?

Reaction score
The guy at the store is full of it. All macbooks even late models seem to have the same cracking problem in regards to the top case. I have had to have the top case replaced by mac 3 times now and it looks as if the 3rd replacement is starting to crack as well.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
That thing looks cool, except for the logo.
I will try my luck with the repair.
This is two repairs now in two weeks. (The first was the usb ports died and I had to get a new logic board).
My macbook is only 10 months old. It is still a baby ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD
It's absolutely the same material, they have not changed it since the original MB's.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
I just got it fixed, and.... I don't know. The material actually seems to look/feel sturdier on the top case. The texture also feels different. It has more of a grainy feel to it rather than the old topcase that felt smoother.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I got a nice keyboard cover like the marware at amazon for 12.00 and it works great! I also picked up a clear plastic snap on case for 19.00 there as well and put it on the day my macbook arrived.

Reaction score
i have had mine recently replaced and i agree, it also does have a grainier, tougher feel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.