Can I use it as a standalone monitor?

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking at buying a mac for my boyfriend. He would prefer to use a desktop setup rather than a laptop. I have a MacBook Pro and would like to know, if I were to buy him an iMac (as opposed to either a Mini or Pro with a cinema display), would I be able, when he's not using it of course, to plug my MacBook Pro in to the iMac to use the screen?

Thanks!

F

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
By default, there is no way to use it as an external monitor as there is no port to input video as there would be on a regular monitor, it only contains a video-out port in the form of mini-DVI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Well, if both machines run Leopard, you could take advantage of the new Back-to-My-Mac feature, which provides remote desktop access. In essense, you could use Back-to-My-Mac on his iMac to gain desktop access to your MBP. The iMac would thus sort of be like a monitor for the MBP. I have no idea if the screen resolution could be changed though. It might look pretty flakey...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.