Restoring a G4

Reaction score
Hello. I've just bought my first computer! It's an old G4 dual processor 1.25 GHz FW800. I wanted to restore it to how it would have been when it was new, without the previous owner's name on it etc. Unfortunately I don't have tha original system restore discs (which it apparently would have come with when new).

A friend of mine has a similar G4 but a slightly newer single processor 1.25 GHz machine. If he can find his discs will these do the job? Or is there another way if it they won't or if he can't find them?

It currently has OSX 2 installed. Will this mac work well with osx 5 Leopard?

Please reply as if you are talking to a complete idiot. I'm not very technically minded when it comes to computers.

Many thanks in advance.

Reaction score
First of all, welcome! Second, that Mac will handle Leopard reasonably well as long as you max out its ram (1.5 gigs). If there is nothing on the hard drive yet, buy the retail Leopard installer, erase and install. You will get to rename it, create your own account. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.