ASUS's blatant iBook clone

OP
C

ChicoWeb

m1k said:
Just thought I'd announce ASUS's newest laptop, the SN5 series. http://usa.asus.com/products/notebook/s5series/s5200n/s5200n_overview.HTM

It's a blatant ripoff of Apple's iBook, without a doubt. Even the power switch looks the same. The only difference is that it's MUCH more expensive and not as powerful by far. And it doesn't even have an optical drive.

What do you think of the el-cheapo-crap-clone?

HAHA, looks like someone photoshopped an iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, I guess they are just following an old marketing rule:
If you can't beat the best, imitate them, and you will earn the same money...

Unfortunately, this is a very bad imitation...

OP
S

Smeggy

I hate to break it to you, but ASUS builds the Apple laptops. So it makes sense that one of their own would look like an Apple.

OP
T

The mac 13

Smeggy said:
I hate to break it to you, but ASUS builds the Apple laptops. So it makes sense that one of their own would look like an Apple.

wat u mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Smeggy said:

Aha...nice story...
Where did you find that rumor?!?

If that was the case, why aren't they able to put the optical drive inside?!? If they can do it on the iBooks they build (according to you), why can't they do it on their own model then? and sell it at a higher price than oh-so-expensive- Apple?

Sorry, but your comment doesn't make any realistic sense...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I doubt that rumour...

Asus and Apple have no history of cooperation that I know of, so this just doesn't fit...

I guess one of those obscure taiwanese factories makes apple's computers, just like the iPods that are made over there by some no-name factory to fit apple's specifications...

Reaction score
Avalon said:
why can't they do it on their own model then?

That asus laptop is more than 2lbs lighter than a 12in ibook, in order to be light you have to give up some things.

OP
M

m1k

Like a decent OS, maybe? Even a retarded pineapple could build a better OS than the nice folks at Microsoft Development.

And no optical drive is a no-no, for a greater price than a PowerBook 12".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
It has a crappy Intel integrated graphics controller...

Blah. If I was buying a PC laptop, it would be toshiba. Not Asus.

Reaction score
m1k said:
And no optical drive is a no-no, for a greater price than a PowerBook 12".

It is a different class of laptop, it is a lot smaller and lighter, you can't really compare them.

If you don't like M$ you can always run linux.

OP
T

The mac 13

mynameis said:
It is a different class of laptop, it is a lot smaller and lighter, you can't really compare them.

If you don't like M$ you can always run linux.

nux looks scary.. :rolleyes:

OP
M

missyvortex

It isn't if you use Mandrake, Fedora or SuSe. all very friendly versions of linux.

For the scary linux experience you'd want Gentoo Linux - it takes almost a day to compile if you don't get any problems :)

Anyway you can get Linux for the mac to play with (including gentoo infact)
They even have the gentoo linux portage system (very cool way to custom compile things to a system rather than installing) on Mac Os X

And maybe in the future the Asus clone could run PearPC...

OP
T

tariq

It's not a rumor, its fact, almost!

No history of Apple dealing with ASUS?
Whats this? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/06/apple_ipod_supply/

As for iBooks, Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) currently manufactures them, but ASUStek in June announced it plans on purchasing five of ECS' plants, one of which is a major notebook plant that produces, you guessed it, Apple iBooks.

OP
T

tariq

missyvortex said:
It isn't if you use Mandrake, Fedora or SuSe. all very friendly versions of linux.

For the scary linux experience you'd want Gentoo Linux - it takes almost a day to compile if you don't get any problems :)

Anyway you can get Linux for the mac to play with (including gentoo infact)
They even have the gentoo linux portage system (very cool way to custom compile things to a system rather than installing) on Mac Os X

And maybe in the future the Asus clone could run PearPC...

The days of tweaking are over for many users. Until Linux is truly FRIENDLY (ie. no compiling and crap required) it can't hold a candle next to OSX. The computer at this stage should be a tool, not a pet.

OP
M

missyvortex

Well I think I like Linux because it takes the control back of my pc - It reminds me of the DOS days.

But I do concede that for Macs atleast Mac os x cant be beaten (until they get mac os 11), but if you are used to linux on your pc then it can be nice to have choice of that and mac os x.

For example openoffice is not yet native to mac os x - though you can run x11 in background to get it working. So for second hand ibooks that don't have appleworks with them, then openoffice under linux for mac is decent.

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

you say it is not as powerful - do you have ANY idea how fast the pentium M processors are? obviusly not. A pentium M 1.6 is about as fast as a p4 2.6-2.8 ghz CPU.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.