Bag to carry DSLR and MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm looking for a bag that I can carry my Canon XTi and my Macbook Pro in. A backpack would probably be best, but any kind of bag would do. Hopefully there will be some room to carry a few other things like a couple lenses and MBP accessories.

If anyone knows of any bags like this, I would appreciate it.

M

MacHeadCase

Take a look at Lowepro, they have great bags. Plenty of stuff over there to suit pretty much any need you might have. If you want all weather protection, choose a AW model.

BTW, I wanted to buy myself a backpack to carry my cam, tripod, lenses and stuff. I'll fill you in in a little while : my info is in my partner's Palm and neither the person nor the Palm are at home at the moment. It wasn't a Lowepro but I thought the design and padding was great for long treks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I have seen the Lowepro CompuDayPack and the Case Logic SLR and Computer Backpack. I think the Case Logic protects the camera and the lenses better than the Lowepro, plus the pockets are more accessible. The Lowepro is more simple and i think smaller, is also cheaper and very discrete.
I have not seen many messenger bags for laptop and camera.
(This 2 are models that i like and consider accessible to my budget, there are of course several others)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I don't know one that will fit the MBP and a DSLR but I do have two Lowepro bags and really like them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I also have a few Lowepro bags, and have been quite happy with them. They tend to be somewhat overpadded in my view, but the materials and build quality are very high, and the prices reasonable.

Another very good brand is ThinkTank. They are a relative newcomer to the field, but it was started by the former chief designer for Lowepro. I have a few of their bags, and they are the king of the hill in terms of detail to design, materials and build quality. They can be pricey however. The Urban Design series includes a few bags that will carry the MBP and camera gear: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_UrbnDsgs.php

The last brand on my recommended list for what you need is the Tenba. Again, very good design and quality. I had a shoulder camera/laptop bag that doubled as my brief case for 15 years, and it's still in good shape. Here's a messenger style bag: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CG1V1O/?tag=macforums0e4-20

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Thanks for the replies! I think I like the Case Logic backpack and Urban Disguise the best for their holding capability and because they don't scream out "expensive camera equipment inside!" I would rather have the Urban Disguise because it would be nicer to access equipment without taking the bag off completely, but it's more expensive and carrying heavy equipment on one shoulder all day instead of both shoulders can be more tiring.

Reaction score
if youre going for a shoulder bag id say get a naneu pro messenger bag
if a backpack then try your local ritz camera and pick up one of the quantary backpacks. probably way more space than youll need though.

M

MacHeadCase

Finally! I got it! It's the Tamrac Expedition 5. I thought the padding was very comfy for a long walk with heavy equipment and I could even lug around my tripod without any hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very nice MHC. I've got an older Tamrac day pack (camera bag addiction can be a problem for us photogs), and they are another very good option. I have a similar LowePro Nature Trekker AW pack. My next bag will be the Domke F-803.

M

MacHeadCase

Well actually I didn't get the bag : I got the name and model I was looking for from the Palm...

But I'd still love to get that backpack. If you say they're good quality, then it must be true. The salesman also said he had one and they were very rugged and resistant to weather and he mentioned they were an exceptional quality for the price. Lowepro's equivalents were going for twice (or more!) the price of the Tamrac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would do an in-store comparison between the Tamrac and the Lowepro Nature Trekker before you buy. I've generally found the Lowepro to be ergonomically superior in design to the Tamrac, and the materials a bit sturdier. This means greater support, i.e., less stress on the body, which is very important when one is hauling heavy gear over an extended period of time. Lowepro's history as a mfr of mountaineering gear (they are now a separate company from Lowe Alpine) seems to show through here.

M

MacHeadCase

What I really liked was the Tamrac's straps to tie the tripod to the backpack's front. I thought that was pretty clever. I will look into what you suggest, though. Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Nature Trekker also has a pocket and tie down that permits one to carry a tripod down the center of the bag. But in practice, I rarely use it, finding myself hand carrying the 'pod because it can be a hassle to untie it every time I want to use it (I also have a tripod strap from OpTech that I've used a few times). Still, it's useful to have if you are trekking long distances.

The problem with camera bags is that just when you thought you found the proverbial holy grail of bags, you then realize there are compromises, and then you go in search once again. At this point, I've resigned myself to using a particular bag for a particular shooting need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
I got a Crumpler Pretty Boy XL Backpack, very comfy, doesnt look any different (in terms of size, not design) to any of the backpacks I see all everyday..

Fits my Canon 400D (XTi) and enough room for 4 Lenses in the bottom (However im only on 2 at the moment, so ive got a Gorilla Pod taking up one of the compartments.

Camera is well protected.. Im actually on holiday at the moment snowboarding, so im using it here now.

The part for my Macbook Pro slides into the back and then you have half of the front of the bag to take things like chargers and extra accessories with you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.