iMac 24" 2.4 Processor Upgrade?

R

redhatchbox

If I wanted to upgrade this processor to the 2.8 "Extreme", will it work? Basically what I'm asking is, do both iMacs share the same motherboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
A different, and equally important, question is whether the CPU is upgradable at all on the iMac motherboard. Do you know if it is (a) in a socket and (b) accessible for the replacement?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R

redhatchbox

Well, since we know for certain that the 2.8 Duo 2 "extreme" processor works in the same 24" imac, I don't see how there would be any compatibility issues if both imac runs the same motherboard. Do they in fact, run the same motherboard?

I'm not looking to do something that is unsupported.. I just bought this thing. If I can get some more power out of it, why not? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
In theory it should be possible, but for the time, effort, money and risk, such a small increase in CPU speed isn't worth it.

What applications do you feel you'd see a difference in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, 2.4 GHz to 2.8 GHz is 0.4 GHz difference, or 16.7% at best. You rarely get a direct linear relationship between CPU speed and real world performance, since other factors are involved - RAM, bus bandwidth, disk speeds and so on.

I would be you would see maybe a 10% to 12% throughput improvement on CPU intensive tasks like certain Photoshop filters, or video encoding, or that sort of thing.

Other than that, it might be noticeable at all after all that work. Even I, Mr. "Performance Hog", have to admit that today's computers are more than fast enough for the routine stuff we use them for.

I rather doubt that this upgrade would be worth the trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.