Thinking about replacing hard drive...couple questions

Reaction score
Well I have a 160GB HDD and am running out of room quickly. I want to upgrade to a 300GB 7200RPM drive. I was wondering about mainly one thing if I do the upgrade:
After I put the new one in and it's ready to go, to install Leopard back on the computer, do I just put in the Leopard disc that came with my laptop when I bought it or is there something else I have to do to get the OS back on there??
EDIT: One more thing, I use a Windows Partition for gaming and an external HDD won't work because it will slow the games down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
1. Replace HDD
2. Turn on laptop hold down C on keybard and insert Original Restore DVD 1
3. Start Disk Utility from Menu bar and format/partition new HDD.
4. Install Leopard as per normal onto new HDD.

Hope that answers your questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Oh snap, I forgot about the restoration DVDs...thanks

Oh should I assume then your laptop didnt come with Leopard preinstalled and your restore DVDs have Tiger only?

If you so you may be able to boot from your Leopard install DVD and format/partition the HDD but I am not sure as I have not tried that before. Maybe someone else can answer that question. Or you can try it and find out for all of us :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just so you know, if your Macbook Pro still has a warranty, upgrading the drive will void your warranty. The hard drive is not a user replaceable part for the Macbook Pro, only the Macbook.

Also, where are you finding a 300GB 7200RPM drive? The largest 7200RPM drives I can find are 200GB. The largest 5400RPM drive is 320GB. I hope you know that you can only install one of the smaller 2.5" laptop drives into your Macbook Pro and not a normal 3.5" desktop hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.